• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to install silently, with "Never check for updates" selected

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out that by running install_flash_player_28_active_x.exe with the -install switch, it performs a clean, silent install.  Only problem is that it installs with the "Allow Adobe to install updates" option enabled.  I need to deploy it with the "Never check for updates" option selected.  How do I do that?  I searched the admin guide and this forum and haven't found the answer.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the mms.cfg file settings to disable updates, by add the following entries:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

SilentAutoUpdateEnable=0

Save the file at:

32-bit OS: C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

64-bit OS: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

You'll want to deploy the file to the clients immediately after installation completes.

<edit>
Silent installation installs Flash Player with update option 'Notify me to install updates', not 'Allow Adobe to install updates'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply!  Yes, it does turn off the updates.  It still leaves the "Adobe Flash Player Update Service" installed.  If I use the control panel applet to change to Never, that service is removed.  Is there a better way?

P.S.  You are right, vanilla silent install does set it for 'Notify me to install updates'.  Of course that's still not what we need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it does turn off the updates.  It still leaves the "Adobe Flash Player Update Service"

Disabling updates via mms.cfg file doesn't delete the task/service so that they're available should you want to enable updates again via mms.cfg file.  The mms.cfg file is a data file that doesn't trigger the deletion/creation of the task/service like the NCP does.

Whether or not an update check happens is based on the mms.cfg file settings.  The Background Update mechanism queries the mms.cfg entries to check the update options.  If Background Update is disabled nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information.  Our customers don't want the service installed at all, which is how it is if one uses the control panel applet and modifies to 'Never'.  Maybe there's a way to tell the installer, through an MSI property perhaps, to install as 'Never' and also with the service not installed?  Or, if not that, then maybe there's a way to script it such that it does the equivalent of having run the applet and changing it to 'Never'?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There isn't a supported way to implement what you're requesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, thank you for letting me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines