• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent or disable Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Plug-in

New Here ,
Sep 12, 2018 Sep 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My educational institute has classroom & lab computers with Adobe Flash Player Active (for IE) Plugin - NPAPI (for Firefox) installed. They don't have Opera web browser installed. So, I don't need PPAPI to be installed on their computers. However, a new window pops up to be installed for PPAPI Plug-in. How can I prevent or disable the PPAPI plug-in?

Please, advise.

SK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

However, a new window pops up to be installed for PPAPI Plug-in. How can I prevent or disable the PPAPI plug-in?

It sounds like the PPAPI plugin was installed at some point.  Please provide a screenshot of the Flash Player Settings Manager Updates tab:

• Launch Control Panel
  • Navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items
    • Alternatively, select to View by: Small Icons
  • Click on the Flash Player item
  • When Flash Player Settings Manager launches, click on the Updates tab

If the Updates tab shows a version for PPAPI plugin, it's installed.  Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall the PAPPI plugin.

You can use the Flash Player uninstaller, but that will remove all intances of Flash Player installed (ActiveX for IE and NPAPI plugin for Firefox).

There is no way to disable updates for a specific Flash Player type (ActiveX, NPAPI, PPAPI) when more than one are installed.  So the only way to do this is to uninstall the PPAPI plugin from the system.

If you have an image that you deploy to the classroom and lab computers you'll want to ensure that the image doesn't include the PPAPI plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Mac system, too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the Mac,  the uninstaller works differently.  It'll uninstall all Flash Player Plugins on the system, currently there's no way to uninstall only PPAPI and leave the NPAPI.  So, you'll need to run the uninstaller and then re-install the NPAPI.

On Mac, the Flash Player Settings Manager is in System Preferences.  My reason for asking for the screenshot of the Updates tab is that it's the easiest way to determine which player types are installed on the system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply.

Do you have the information about how to uninstall PPAPI plugin silently

for both Mac OS X and Windows systems? I would like to run the script to

install ActiveX & NPAPI and then, uninstall PPAPI plugin for Windows and

install NPAPI plugin and then, uninstall PPAPI plugin for Mac on multiple

computers through my 3rd party deployment appliance.

I already have the information about how to install flash player plugin

silently. But I don't have the information about how to uninstall PPAPI

plugin.

Please, advise.

SK

Seung Kim

[moderator: removed email signature as per forums privacy policy Email signatures and personal information ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2018 Sep 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Information on silent install/uninstall is available in the Flash Player Administrator's Guide in Chapter 3. See page 14 for Windows and page 16 for Mac.

A couple of points:

• On Windows, it is possible to provide the player type in the silent uninstall command, thus uninstalling only a specific player type (e.g. ActiveX, NPAPI, or PPAPI)
  • On Mac, it is NOT possible to provide the player type in the silent uninstall command, thus when uninstalling silently, all player types installed (NPAPI, PPAPI) on the system will be removed.

Due to these limitations, it's best to first run the uninstaller and then install only the player types you require.

You don't mention the Windows versions present in your institution.  As of Windows 8.x, Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX in IE and in Edge on Windows 10.  The ActiveX installer will not run on these operating systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines