• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to update to the latest version of Flash?

New Here ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but I can't seem to update flash (or at least my computer doesn't show it's been updated).

I'm currently a student for Network management, and the website my school uses for the online material says I need java and flash player 8 or higher installed. Java is up and running perfectly. I'm having trouble with flash. I have uninstalled it, installed it, updated it. Nothing works. This is the message I constantly get on said website:

telling me that I need Adobe flash player 8 or higher. I have gone into my settings on Chrome, and and selected "always ask first for flash" the particular website never asks for flash (even though the website is in the "allowed list" for allowing flash. I don't receive any notification whatsoever that any type of pop up is being blocked.

Google Chrome63.0.3239.132 (Official Build) (64-bit) (cohort: Stable)
Revision2e6edcfee630baa3775f37cb11796b1603a64360-refs/branch-heads/3239@{#709}
OSWindows
JavaScriptV8 6.3.292.49
Flash28.0.0.137

The above is the current specs of my Chrome browser. When I go into Chrome components, it lists flash as "not updated" when I click check for updates. If I refresh that page, I get "up to date" for flash.

Nothing I do seems to work. Also I've done the exact same thing on microsoft edge, and nothing as well. Other computers in my house are fine, but my laptop is the one experiencing these issues. If anyone has a solution for this, I'd love to hear it.

On a side note, my main anti-virus is Microsoft Defender.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Hi jamesr123678 ,

Based on the screenshot, Chrome already has been updated to the latest version, 28.0.0.137.  Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and automatically updates it.  Google also disables Flash by default, so you'll need to enable it, usually per site.  See Google's help document Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help  for assistance.

Google also implements a Site Engagement Index score.  If that score is too low, it'll block Flash, even if Flash is enabled.  Go

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Jan 30, 2018 Jan 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try with the browser seamonkey or yandex?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jamesr123678 ,

Based on the screenshot, Chrome already has been updated to the latest version, 28.0.0.137.  Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and automatically updates it.  Google also disables Flash by default, so you'll need to enable it, usually per site.  See Google's help document Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help  for assistance.

Google also implements a Site Engagement Index score.  If that score is too low, it'll block Flash, even if Flash is enabled.  Go to chrome://site-engagement and look for the site in question.  If the associated score is less than 100 Google will block the site.  You can manually edit the score and set it to 100.

An alternative is to white-list all sites by adding https://* and http://* to the list of exceptions in chrome://settings/content/flash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Maria Vargas, it worked. Not sure what the exact issue was. But after taking your advice and white listing all sites and also using the "https://" and then the website it worked. Cause before that, in site-engagement, the website in question wasn't even listed. 

Thank you so much. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 10:18 AM, Maria Vargas<forums_noreply@adobe.com> wrote:

|

You have been mentioned

by Maria Vargas in Re: How to update to the latest version of Flash? in Adobe Community - View Maria Vargas's reference to you

Hi jamesr123678 ,

Google also implements a Site Engagement Index score.  If that score is too low, it'll block Flash, even if Flash is enabled.  Go to chrome://site-engagement and look for the site in question.  If the associated score is less than 100 Google will block the site.  You can manually edit the score and set it to 100.

An alternative is to white-list all sites by adding https://* and http://* to the list of exceptions in chrome://settings/content/flash

Participate in the conversation by replying to this email

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're welcome.  Glad it's working now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try with the browser seamonkey or yandex?

Neither of these browsers are supported.  Flash may function in them, but we cannot guarantee it's functionality, nor would fix bugs specific to them.

See Tech specs | Adobe Flash Player for supported operating systems and browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 31, 2018 Jan 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maria, these browsers work very well with flash, for this reason I use them since years now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say they didn't work, I said they're not supported.  We don't develop for them, nor test with them, as we do with the supported browsers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok I thought flash was browser agnostic, so it means adobe supports chrome and firefox only right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per the specs, Flash Player currently supports:

• Latest versions of Microsoft Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera

SeaMonkey is based on Mozilla Application Suite, I don't know enough about it to know how much the code-base diverges from the core Firefox code.

I'm not familiar with Yandex browser, but it appears to be based on Chromium.  Again, I don't know enough about it to know how up-to-date it is with Chromium. For example, Opera is based on Chromium, but from personal observation, they tend to lag a bit behind Chromium features, and release dates.  For example, they implemented Flash click-to-play in Opera 49 (based on Chromium 62) when Chrome had already implemented it months prior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For completeness, here's the link to our system requirements page:

Tech specs | Adobe Flash Player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines