• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I can't see a video when I open email on AOL 9.7, but when I open it through IE I can see it,,, why?

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open an email through AOL9.7 that has an Adobe Flash Player video in it, all I See is a black box,,,when I open the same email through Internet Explorer (when I open AOL through IE) I can see the video.  I do have the latest version of Flash Player,,, what is the problem????

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me preface this by saying I'm a former AOL help desk agent; that means I helped their support people for two years before I left. There's no need for anyone who ISN'T using a dial up connection (through AOL) to have AOL software installed on their system - it takes nearly a gig of hard drive space when you include all the extra junk it installs with their updates, it uses a "two versions old (IE 8)"  scaled down version of Internet Explorer for it's browser engine, and there's NOTHING the software does that can't be accessed at aol.com - INCLUDING AOL mail.
Because it uses a "two versions old" IE, and a scaled down build at that, the odds are that the plugin you have for IE doesn't work with the AOL browser because Microsoft won't let them have the full code for it. Additionally, AOL mail is HTML mail and won't display external content unless you specifically go in and "tweak the settings" so it will. I have to explain this a few times a month to "newbie" web designers who want to use all kinds of "fancy-shmancy" styles and HTML stuff in their bulk emails. Most people won't and can't see it, so it's a waste of time to put it in there. I haven't touched AOL software or used their email since I left their employ in 2003, so I have no recolection at all of how to enable external Flash vcontent in their mail. I'd suggest contacting AOL support, but from what I know, it's far worse than when I worked there a decade ago, and it was abominable then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

problem is I can see the flash video on computer at the office through AOL, but not the one at home

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then THAT would be a setting within your AOL software at home... and per my first post, I wouldn't have a clue as to what to do or how, anymore. The last time I did anything with AOL was on their site, trying to get my late father's e-mail to stop downloading every picture someone attached to his incoming mails, but that was on the site. I had him remove their software in 2004 because it kept trying to dial out with a cable conection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2019 Feb 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To begin, open any browser like Google Chrome on your PC and run YouTube to confirm that the software is compatible with your system.

Next, exit the ‘Desktop Manager’ on your Computer. For this, simply, press “CTRL+ALT+DELETE” keys on the keyboard. Then, you need to tap on the “Processes” tab and select ‘End Process’ for all programs with AOL names.

Followed by it, open Internet Explorer and download advanced Flash player.

Important: Close the Explorer Window before installing the flash player on your PC.

In case, the problem still doesn’t resolve and gives you an installation error- then, troubleshoot the system registry files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2019 Feb 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most importantly, this is a good question for AOL support.  Flash Player does not explicitly support AOL, and it's probably time to make the jump to a modern web browser.  It will take a little getting used to, but it will be so much better after the initial adjustment.

You can find a list of our system requirements, here:

Tech specs | Adobe Flash Player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines