• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I heard that Flash will be shut down in 2020.

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I heard that Flash will be shut down in 2020. After that, will Flash-created content become unavailable on the web after that? There are a lot of Flash learning contents created by our school. After 2020, do we have to convert all of them to other languages like HTML5? And do you know exactly when the service is finished?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

This is the official Adobe announcement.  It links to related announcements by each of the major US browser vendors.  I would strongly recommend reading all of them in order to understand any potential impact to your customers or products.

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Mar 15, 2018 Mar 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As long as people will use it, flash will still continue, as other languages. The plugin concept is ending, not the code made by millions developers. So anyone is invited to imagine and create how SWF can be embeded in an HTML page without plugin. webassembly can be one solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But why they must do it?,this is truely a evil injustice. I wont let them to do whatever they want to do,just only for pure selfishness and arogance. We must stop this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 28, 2019 Jun 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe jump a step to offer better

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's will make it worse,im afraid. We must not let them erase Adobe Flash forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not being erased. It can still be accessed via certain functions. Google it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is some discussion and disagreement. While it is possible for new solutions to be built with different technology, nobody is yet saying what this technology will be, and what work Flash developers need to do. 2 years is not long in a development cycle, and some say that Flash Plugin availability is likely to stop much sooner. And of course you already lock out the phones and tablets that many, perhaps most students now expect to use (Mac and Windows is what old people use, I've heard). So give serious consideration to converting Flash based sites: not in 2 years, but now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are targetting public users and forget companies, corporations, enterprise and developers who will never reprogram everything, especially when the application is stable and run since years. You won't force companies to invest and pay a new development when their application work since years and work well. There is no equivalent today to flash, html5/javascript lacks in features like multicast, cross-browser and OS problems, version etc... Change a browser version for company that manage thousands computer is always an ordeal and expensive task. So keep in mind that the web is not to reinvent the wheel every 10 years, but rather

optimize what's existing already. Flash is part of this cycle. the shape changes, not the code which will continue to work.

and btw, I really prefer to develop in actionscript that javascript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is bad news for those sites who almost relayed on flash stuff, mostly those flash games which millions of users browse and play every month. Especially sites like Scratch, they will be having a lot of modification work after adobe gonna remove the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't worry, there are still billions of computers using Flash/Actionscript, so be sure that there will be always a solution to continue to enjoy our favorite web development, it's just a good mutation, meaning plugin concept will transform in such better standard way....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It means Adobe is going to provide a similar service as flash?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scratch no longer needs Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally when Adobe say they will stop providing Flash Player by 2020, I believe them. And I do not think they will make something else instead (for playing existing Flash content on web sites). Active developers have tools and alternatives that they might use to develop alternatives. Some people remain optimistic that there will be a solution, but I don't personally share this optimism for existing sites without ongoing developers. I recognise there are a range of opinions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not opinions, it's facts. believe what you want, what I believe is facts. Working as a developers since 30 years I know what are the trends and how the internet is evolving since 25 years as it's my job. internet is not only games, videos, websites, it's also banks, companies, corporations, universities and I really understand Adobe to just get hidden from the web development although they still are working hard to offer top development softwares. Today we are not shrink to one tech, but we have a lot of choice of how can we compile and integrate any kind of language into a web page from standards consortium, which is a good thing for everybody, and for sure no one will go to Flash forum to spit their anger when it does not work but redirect to the browsers developers....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it's not opinions, it's facts.

Not sure where/who you're getting your 'facts' from, however, there are no plans to support Flash Player beyond 2020, as announced last summer.

@keithshawns

I recommend you refer to Adobe's Flash EOL announcement at https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/​. This blog post also contains links to the various browser vendor's response and future plans.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

_maria, Flash is one thing, swf actionscript is another thing....

the end of Flash is the start of something else...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Referring to the original question... Robert, are you advising someone (a school) with a lot of investment in Flash based content, to ignore Adobe's statement that Flash Player will be gone in 2020, and do nothing because "something" will turn up? That may be a tough sell to the people in charge of business planning. If you aren't advising they do nothing at all, what planning advice can you give so that they can say to their governing board they are confident there will not be an interruption in studies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, if I think about it, your premise is that Adobe will not "just stop a technology of 20 years" etc, for the reasons you state (which are good) even though they have said that they will stop it, and given 2 years for migration. You might be right, but I'm not sure a CEO or CIO will take the same view. It's their choice, but they will have to sell your point of view (that Adobe will backtrack on a publicly stated policy agreed with the major browser makers) to board, shareholders, stakeholders, regulators and the public.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did we see any kind of technology shutdown abruptly since the creation of computers?

today you can still use for example VNC connected to DOS systems. old arcade games simulators and so on...

the technology will extinct when no one will be interested to use it. So, to be logic, I guess there are many many companies, developers, schools and universities who have simply not the time, the resources or the money to reinvent the wheel, rather, they will certainly find a solution (myself included as I don't want to spend all my life to recode the same projects over and over every 10 years)  to run their precious applications on another way, and it's what will happen, given the health of the world economy today....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the official Adobe announcement.  It links to related announcements by each of the major US browser vendors.  I would strongly recommend reading all of them in order to understand any potential impact to your customers or products.

Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2019 Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is adobe flash  shutting down next year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Flayer PLAYER support will be removed in all major browsers next year, and then Flash Player will not be available. I'd say that's a yes. Read the messages and you will find a link to Adobe's official info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will screw up a lot of schools I mean I use adobe flash every day! I also play games that require adobe flash I mean what will gaming companies do once adobe is shut down!! I'm going to make a complaint to them lol! Love you all good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines