• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm not ready to say goodbye

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a pretty niche issue. I'm having no issues with Flash itself, no, the issues are with myself.
I'm not ready to say goodbye to Flash. I feel like I'm loosing an old friend or a piece of my heritage. The Flash community was a defining cornerstone of my youth and seeing it go will break my heart.
Is anyone else having this issue?

TOPICS
End of life

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Thanks for the feedback.  Happy to hear that we made the world a little better for you.  🙂

For the better part of two decades, Flash expanded the limits of expressiveness and engagement that were possible on the web.  All of the features that Flash provided have been replicated by native HTML and JavaScript (the HTML5 video tag, WebFonts for custom font support, WebRTC for video conferencing, WebGL for 3D graphics, WebSockets for lightweight data transfer, WebAssembly for transpilation from o

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is anyone else having this issue?"

Honestly, no.  In the grand scheme of things, aging technologies and software are nothing to be sentimental about.  They are merely a means to an end until something better comes along to replace them.

https://helpx.adobe.com/animate/using/creating-publishing-html5-canvas-document.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.  Happy to hear that we made the world a little better for you.  🙂

For the better part of two decades, Flash expanded the limits of expressiveness and engagement that were possible on the web.  All of the features that Flash provided have been replicated by native HTML and JavaScript (the HTML5 video tag, WebFonts for custom font support, WebRTC for video conferencing, WebGL for 3D graphics, WebSockets for lightweight data transfer, WebAssembly for transpilation from other languages, etc). 

It's gratifying to have been part of that heritage, and for showing the larger web community what was possible in terms of creativity.  We're all glad that people care about what Flash made possible over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There would be no problem to say goodbye to Flash as long as Adobe offers a Actionscript to Javascript transpiler (at least) and not force people to reprogam 20 years of code. Flash never been animations only, but various framewok like Flex, Flash Builder, As2/3 components, Air etc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't hold your breath.  Transcoders don't work for this and here's why:

JavaScript and ActionScript (especially AS3) are syntactically similar languages and both are based on the ECMA script specification. But there are significant differences.

//Actionscript:
var a:String = new PlayerName();

//Javascript:
var a = new PlayerName();

JavaScript does not have explicit variable type declarations.  However, what you're asking for goes much further than syntactic incompatibilities, as JS and AS work with completely different APIs. ActionScript has stages, frames and other Flash-based stuff which doesn't exist in JavaScript's environment.

Meanwhile JavaScript running in a browser is used to manipulate documents, DOM nodes and CSS properties.  Unless you're doing simple function calls and math without user or environmental dependencies, your programs won't transfer to the new environment.

If you have an application created in Flash or any other AS-enabled environment, you must consider how to re-write it in a whole new context.  As yet, only humans can do that.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines