• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I'm trying to keep an old machine on the road: Adobe Flash upgrade.

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to keep an old machine on the road. It's a Windows XP (Lenovo) sp 2.0 (32bit). I tried your "flashplayer32_ha_install.exe" from your Adobe download site that promises to have an upgrade for every machine (located at: "https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/"). I did the download to a special directory that I built. I then tried the usual double click (implied execution) and nothing happened. Up until last year, I've never had a problem with Adobe Flash upgrades. (I just recently did an upgrades to Firefox and had no problems; works like a dream.)

I use this machine to watch videos and read articles, write documents, etc. I like it because my Windows 9 and 10 machines are such a pain to work with, and shockingly unstable!?! The only reason I'm looking to upgrade Adobe Flash is that different sites are starting to demand it and even enforcing the upgrade. When I'm allowed to run a video there is NO problem whatsoever with the older versions of Flash.

I thought that perhaps I need to start this exe with a DOS command instead of the usual mouse double click, but I thought I would give this support site a try first.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 14, 2019 Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you try to completely uninstall Flash, reboot and install the last version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tech specs | Adobe Flash Player says XP SP3. This might be checked. Or it might just use a DLL or function not available in XP SP2, which may not even have been a deliberate choice. There were important encryption/security fixes in SP3.

You may need to step back through the archive to find the last version that loads. If you want to focus on this version install, I suggest using Microsoft's depends.exe tool to see if a DLL dependency is stopping it from loading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a Windows XP (Lenovo) sp 2.0 (32bit).
I then tried the usual double click (implied execution) and nothing happened.

SP2 lacks the required SHA2 digital certificate support.  This is why nothing is happening when you attempt to launch the installer.  Please upgrade to a supported version, as @Test Screen Name mentions

If this machine is connected to the internet, you definitely don't want to run an old out-dated version of Flash. Security is already being compromised by running Windows XP, which Microsoft no longer supports.  No need to compound that by running an old, known vulnerable version of Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, it's time to move on from WinXP.  You really, really want a 64-bit operating system and modern cryptography support if you're browsing the web with this machine.  If it's a 32-bit machine, it's time to repurpose it as a boat anchor or ugly planter.

If you have 64-bit hardware and you're cost sensitive and/or cannot afford to upgrade to a modern operating system, modern Linux distributions like Mint Linux are free. and include modern operating system level security mitigations and cryptography support. There's obviously a learning curve (you get what you pay for), but it's free and the modern consumer-oriented Linux distros are pretty decent.

If you prefer Windows or Macintosh, a decent entry-level Win10 laptop can be had in the $400 range, a decent entry-level Chromebook will run you about $250.  Walmart (and lately Amazon) both sell refurbished Apple products through their websites, if you'd prefer an inexpensive alternative to retail Apple prices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines