• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to open an old (Windows XP) DCR file but Flash and Shockwave are not options.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently needed to open some old Windows XP files on some CDs. The problem is most of these files are DCR files which I can't open with Shockwave or Flash because they are not supported anymore. I talked to customer support and they attempted to open the files in photoshop but the files are not supported by current installations of photoshop. What can I do? I would attatch a file as an example but it will not let me post one.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Flash Player (the forum to which you posted) and Photoshop have nothing to do with obsolete Director files.

Ideally, you would need access to an old computer with an old copy of Director software installed that can open DCR files and export them to another file type that's more universally supported (aka video).

Best of luck with your quest! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

The Internet Archive is probably a good place to check.  Make sure to validate digital signatures and use good judgement about software security in general when working with old software and third-party download sites. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this definitely looks relevant!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Director has been dead for a long time. The final release was in Feb. 2013.  Adobe ended Director in 2017. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Director

And later, the Shockwave plugin was pulled from Windows in 2019.

https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/shockwave-end-of-life-faq.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have in fact noted this in my post(not the director part but that is most likely not relevant to my problem). I am not as much looking for information as to why I am experiencing this problem but rather how I can solve it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player (the forum to which you posted) and Photoshop have nothing to do with obsolete Director files.

Ideally, you would need access to an old computer with an old copy of Director software installed that can open DCR files and export them to another file type that's more universally supported (aka video).

Best of luck with your quest! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't the correct answer sadly. As I stated, they were DCR files made to be run by an old version of Shockwave. This is an index directory that the program opens and when you click on the file, it attempts to run the file using shockwave. 2nd.PNGCapture.PNG

The problem is shockwave. It is an old shockwave file. 

If you are suggesting that an old version of Director could run the files, where would I get an older version of Director to do this? 

On a seperate note, I would appreciate if this was not marked as correctly answered by someone who isn't having the problem. It seems a bit rude and presumptuous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As stated above, the problem is your obsolete Director files which created Shockwave media.

https://helpx.adobe.com/shockwave/shockwave-end-of-life-faq.html

None of this has anything to do with Flash Player or this user-to-user forum.  Sorry.

You would need to find someone with a) an old computer and b) a working copy of Director still installed on it.  After 17 years out of development, maybe a computer museum would know someone who could help you.  I don't. 

Goodbye and best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The Internet Archive is probably a good place to check.  Make sure to validate digital signatures and use good judgement about software security in general when working with old software and third-party download sites. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines