• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I want to talk to someone at Adobe about my 1000s of photos in Flash.

Community Beginner ,
Dec 26, 2020 Dec 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do I do? What is your replacement?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Oddly enough, my job before coming to Adobe to work on Flash was at Simple Star, making PhotoShow (which later got acquired by Roxio). 

It's been about 15 years since I've worked on it, so I imagine stuff has changed.  The way that PhotoShow worked when I was there, was that when you loaded an HTML page with your "show", we would deliver a .swf file that interpreted an XML file with the details about your photos, transitions, stickers, etc... and put it all together as a rendered slideshow, an

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. This is a user-to-user forum with very little staff participation.  Adobe employees are on winter break until after the new year. 

2. There is no replacement for Flash Player.  When Flash Player ends in a couple of weeks, that's the end of Flash content. See the official Adobe announcement below.

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

3. Images in JPG, PNG, GIF, SVG, etc... can be viewed in any browser. No special players needed.  And there are lots and lots of free image viewers online that can handle other image file types.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but what program will work in Photoshow?
Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no idea what Photoshow is.

I assume you have the native image files stored somewhere, right?  And hopefully you backed them up in multiple places just in case. As long as you have your native image files, you can create new slideshows with ordinary HTML5 and JavaScript.  Wow Slider is a slick slideshow widget for websites.  WOW contains many   fx and templates to choose from.

https://wowslider.com/

A Google search will reveal others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks as if the makers of Photoshow, Roxio, have done nothing to prepare for Flash ending, even though they had 3 years notice. There is no replacement for Flash Player, things that need Flash Player will just stop working forever. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did download most off Photoshow, but I had music in each video show.
Argentina with tango music.
Years of shows from 15 or so Countries.
I can't believe Adobe does not care. Too much money, like Trump does not
care.
They don't even programs with prices for seniors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2020 Dec 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I can't believe Adobe does not care. Too much money, like Trump does not
care."

1. Adobe doesn't have anything to do with Roxio or PhotoShow.  Please ask THEM why they don't care.

2. Adobe didn't force you to use a flash-based slideshow.  That was YOUR choice.

3. Adobe Flash Player was FREE.  No money involved.

4. Ask Microsoft, Apple, Google, Facebook and Mozilla why THEY ended support for Flash Player.  Adobe didn't have much say in the matter.

Goodbye and good luck to you in 2021!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oddly enough, my job before coming to Adobe to work on Flash was at Simple Star, making PhotoShow (which later got acquired by Roxio). 

It's been about 15 years since I've worked on it, so I imagine stuff has changed.  The way that PhotoShow worked when I was there, was that when you loaded an HTML page with your "show", we would deliver a .swf file that interpreted an XML file with the details about your photos, transitions, stickers, etc... and put it all together as a rendered slideshow, an .xml file that actually had the data about the show you designed, and then we served all of the images as discrete .jpgs, and audio as discrete .mp3 files. 

Assuming you have a working Flash Player and you opened the developer tools in your browser, opened the network tab, then loaded one of your shows, you should see all of those images load.  You could then click on each one and save it into a folder.  It's annoying, but it would work.

You might also contact PhotoShow support to see if they have a newer version that's removed the Flash dependency, or if they have a better data export option.  It wouldn't be that hard to rebuild the core player in HTML5 Canvas and JavaScript.  If they still have sufficient paying customers, I imagine they'd have made the investment to keep the revenue stream going.

Also, to be clear, we're not replacing Flash.  We announced (in tandem with all of our browser partners) back in 2017 that Flash Player, and browser support for plug-ins in general, were going away at the end of 2020.  We gave the industry three years of lead time to migrate to modern technologies.

Here's the original announcement fron 2017, with background: 

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Here's the consumer FAQ: 

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines