Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insufficient user permissions - Flash Player - Windows 7

Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I try to download the newest version of Flash Player, I get an error message stating that I have insufficient user permissions.  I am using Windows 7, it's my home computer, I am the administrator (I know because I checked) and no one else uses my computer.  I've done everything I can (including creating a new Admin account - still didn't work).  Any guesses?  Anyone come across this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

There are some suggestions to solving "insufficient privileges as Administrator" problems over on the Microsoft forums.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/insufficient-privileges-as-an-administratorand/139f3148-c123-42a2-a37e-36a52e836e6d

I'm liking this one, from Mark Parris:

Even though you are the Admin, - have you right clicked the file you wish to install and selected Run as Administrator and with your Anti-Virus turned off?

With UAC enabled - even though you a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, did you read/tried this ?

How do I fix Windows permission problems with Flash Player?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/987370

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there - thanks for your quick response.  Yes, I tried absolutely everything in this tutorial (and thanks for the helpful video too) - I did it all just as suggested and when I tried to download Flash Player I AGAIN got this message: "The user does not have sufficient privileges to install Adobe Flash Player".  I'm at my wit's end.  I really need Flash Player to be operational on this computer.  Any more suggestions?  I appreciate your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 12, 2013 Jan 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MrX1980 - I appreciate all of your suggestions - I have now looked at each one and have gone through each step, one by one, and I STILL get the same message - that I don't have sufficient privileges to install Adobe Flash Player.  I am logged into the Administrator account for my computer but when I pull up the control panel, what I see is "User Accounts and Family Safety" and according to one of those tutorials that indicates I'm not logged into an Administrator account for the computer (even though it says I am... arrggghhhh!) I suspect there may be something amiss with my Admin account.  I don't want to wear out my welcome, but any idea where I should go next?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some suggestions to solving "insufficient privileges as Administrator" problems over on the Microsoft forums.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/insufficient-privileges-as-an-ad...

I'm liking this one, from Mark Parris:

Even though you are the Admin, - have you right clicked the file you wish to install and selected Run as Administrator and with your Anti-Virus turned off?

With UAC enabled - even though you are an Admin - you run in the user context.

One other thing to try is right click on the install file, select properties and see if there is an option to unblock file - this sometimes can happen when copying files around.

Regards, Mark Parris MVP-DS. Community Lead, Active Directory User Group http://adug.co.uk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2014 Jan 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am faced with the exact same problem, even worse, It appeared in two different computers in two different locations.  I tried all the solutions that were mentionned above without success. I am frustrated because I don't know why I have to waste so much time with this matter that should not be that complicated.  However, I feel I'm lucky as I am not one who needs that player in my everyday work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2014 Jan 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makoussai wrote:

I am faced with the exact same problem, even worse, It appeared in two different computers in two different locations.  I tried all the solutions that were mentionned above without success. I am frustrated because I don't know why I have to waste so much time with this matter that should not be that complicated.  However, I feel I'm lucky as I am not one who needs that player in my everyday work.

The thing about this is:

Permissions are NOT Flash Player... That's Windows.
I don't know what it is about Win 7, but it's the ONLY place this seems to be happening, and it's recent, so I tend to think a Windows update did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have Flash install errors 99% of the time they have to do with the FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe not being able to be replaced.

Some Flash installs set ONLY System permissions on C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed folders so Administrators have ZERO permissions to delete that file and that file HAS to be deleted to update Flash with the newer version.

So if you EVER have any errors with Adobe Flash installs navigate to C:\windows\SysWOW64\Macromed and take ownership of all files and folders and DELETE all the contents of the Flash folder and you won't have an issues installing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2019 Sep 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you thank you, taking ownership and deleting files worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Grateful to you.  Great insight and resolution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines