• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a replacement player for the Flash player?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2018 Aug 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use Animate to create interactive content materials and since the termination announcement of Flash, we have been looking into different solutions. We have been exporting our projects as Win and Mac Projector to distribute the materials to our instructors. Now that Flash will end in 2020, will this also end the Flash player that is bundled with the Projector file? If so, will there be a replacement player for Projector? If someone can clarify it for me, that would be great.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Adobe will end-of-life Flash at the end of 2020, as previously announced, and the browser vendors are following suit, as they have previously announced as well.  With each update, browser vendors are adding more friction and making it more difficult for users to use Flash.  I think that gives you an idea of the direction browser vendors are moving to.

As mentioned in Adobe's official announcement, Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog :

Given this progress, and in collaboration w

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reason that we provided a three-year lead time on the announcement was to allow content providers time to migrate away from dependencies on Flash Player.  We will not be publishing updates to Flash Player or the projector after 2020, and you would be best served by migrating to something else.

Adobe Animate CC already provides the ability to publish simple Flash content to HTML5 Canvas (this is the rationale behind the name change from Flash Professional to Animate).  Similarly, courseware content created through Adobe Presenter can be output to HTML5, etc...

In short, the whole notion of browser plug-ins are going away.  Publishing to the web platform (HTML5 and JavaScript) is going to get you the best experience and widest compatibility inside a web browser over the long term, and I would recommend exploring the HTML5 publishing options already built in to Animate CC for converting your existing content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeromiec83223024​ Thank you for clarifying things. I'll let the whole team know about the news so we can transition while we still have lots of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please clarify me better.

Applications created on Win and Mac Projector will continue to work after 2020, since they do not rely on a web browser, Flash Player plug-in, Adobe AIR, or any other platform runtime.

That is, I can continue to develop my applications and export as a projector (.exe and .app) and use them even after 2020.

Am I right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is, I can continue to develop my applications and export as a projector (.exe and .app) and use them even after 2020.

Flash Player (plugin, or projector) will not be available after 2020.  It's highly recommended to begin migrating to other technologies to ensure your apps work after 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case I create in animate cc and export as projector (exe for windows).

These corporate applications are not widely distributed, and by the way I understand these executables do not rely on plugins since they do not use web, they are local executable.

I believe that I can continue to produce and use it even after 2020, because if I format the computer and install a new version of windows, clean with nothing related to flash or other programs, my application works normally.

In summary, the EXE applications I've created are actually a complete projector, an independent executable, so it will continue to work even after 2020.

Unfortunately I use features where flash has unparalleled superiority.

CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're not wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As mentioned previously, it's recommended that you explore, and migrate to, different technologies.  Flash Player in all it's formats (plugin & projector) will be end-of-lifed at the end of 2020.

Using old projector files after 2020 will potentially increase your susceptibility to security exploits, especially in internet connected devises as security exploits will not be fixed post-2020.  You're best option really is to explore other technologies and migrate to those technologies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unfortunately I use features where flash has unparalleled superiority."

See... in that statement the Flash developer is having to say using a SUPERIOR tools is BAD.

This ENTIRE "KILL FLASH" movement has been SICK and BACKWARDS from the start.

I seem to twice a year look to see... is there ANYTHING as good as Flash/Animate is... that can do the same thing... and the result keeps coming up... NO.    IF I am wrong about this... PLEASE enlighten me.

HTML5 and HTML + CSS + Javascript in general is a PILE of "U+1F4A9".

Flash is STILL ahead technologically.

What execs at Adobe should have done is doubled-down, and replaced the damn web-browser WITH the FlashPlayer... screw HTML... we can build the web with Flash ONLY!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Entirely agree, HTML5+JScrap spaghettis never been the beauty, powerful and strictness of its successor, Actionscript. People forget

quickly that JS is much older than AS and lack of many many things, like typing, browser compatibility etc. and years ago if many developers have chosen AS rather than JS that was for a good reason. Go back to JS is pure non sense in regard of Internet evolution. It's like to ask to a 20 years experience designer to stop to use PhotoShop and use something else.

So I really hope that all the work did on AS for the web since 20 years will still be usable after the Flash plugin, since SWF is an open source format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria and/or Staff Member.

To be clear, we can use Flash as we do today through 2020 (end of 2020) meaning that it will not be "dead" until the beginning of 2021?

Please confirm.

Thanks,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody knows the dates, because different people are doing the closedown. The browser makers have said they will shut down Chrome in 2020, and I imagine Adobe will close it down just as soon as all the browser makers have done it. Google for example say "We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020." Microsoft say "Today, Adobe announced that Flash will no longer be supported after 2020. Microsoft will phase out support for Flash in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer ahead of this date." In FireFox "Flash will be disabled by default for most users in 2019, and only users running the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will be able to continue using Flash through the final end-of-life at the end of 2020. "And so on. Also, we can expect browser makers to make it more and more inconvenient to keep using Flash as the end approaches, as they are already doing. So don't delay or expect things to just tick along until 31 December 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will end-of-life Flash at the end of 2020, as previously announced, and the browser vendors are following suit, as they have previously announced as well.  With each update, browser vendors are adding more friction and making it more difficult for users to use Flash.  I think that gives you an idea of the direction browser vendors are moving to.

As mentioned in Adobe's official announcement, Flash & The Future of Interactive Content | Adobe Blog :

Given this progress, and in collaboration with several of our technology partners – including Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Mozilla – Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.

In addition to the links above, the following provides additional information for Firefox and Chrome:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you don't have other choices that to continue to use Flash so just don't upgrade your browser at this time and keep copies of your projectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2019 Apr 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies for the delayed response. You understood my query correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines