• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a resolution for the following error message: "Failed to set up flash. Error: An invalid exception was thrown"?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2016 Jan 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there's an embedded video on a page, that message appears. Attached is a screen shot. I'm running OSX 10.8.5. Thanks!Screen Shot 2016-01-18 at 10.05.07 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved here from the Adobe RoboHelp forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I'm new here and wasn't sure where to put it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2016 Feb 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... How do we resolve this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's an error message internal to the content.  It's not something that Flash Player itself is throwing.

Are both of you running into this problem on ESPN specifically?  Is it a free video stream, or something you need to log into with your cable provider's info, etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2016 Mar 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has popped up again. The first time, I had to go to Chrome's plug-in menu to click the "always allowed to run" box. It ran just fine for about a month, then the issue came up again. The "always allowed to run" box is still selected on the Chrome plug-in menu.

To answer your question, the issue is happening at deadspin.com. That's where I took the original screenshot, they were just posting an espn.com video.

I'm at a loss. Any further suggestions? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2016 Mar 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I'm pretty sure that the post-update behavior was coincidental.  If you're seeing the video at all, Flash is working.  The error message is something internal to ESPN's video player.  If I had to guess, it's probably related to ad insertion and/or their ability to get paid for showing the ads.  That's where all the complexity is.

That it comes and goes speaks to something on the content provider's side.  If we broke it in Flash, it would stay broken until the next update, or vice versa.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2016 Mar 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. The issue is happening with deadspin.com. I'm able to view the video on my phone (Android) without issue. Same for my work computer. It seems isolated to this machine. Since you mentioned the advertisement issue, I turned off AdBlock and reloaded the page. The same issue occurred. It is running on Firefox, so the issue seems isolated to Chrome. Any ideas of how I could approach it from there? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 01, 2016 May 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have been having the same issue and just disabled adobe flash player. this has allowed me to play videos on the deadspin and associated sites, but obviously presents issues with other sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Given the age of the thread, I'm going to lock it, primarily to prevent the original posters from continuing to get mail.  If you have a similar sounding issue, it's likely at this point that the root-cause of the problem is distinct.  Please start a new thread so that we can provide you the best, personalized advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash just tried to update on my computer and it ended up leading me to the answer. I followed the directions to let flash be "always allowed to run" on this page which seemed to solve the issue for me. Thanks for the replies, and good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines