• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this a scam?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From time to time I get a popup on entering Safari browser 10.1.2 on a MacBook Air 10.10.5.

Don't know if related but this happened within a week of my installing Flash Player PPAPI Plug-in version 30.0.0.154 -- by clicking in SystemPreferences>FlashPlayer> install now, which took me to

the Flash Player website.  I did this a little differently than in the past: at the end of the installation

the last panel says "finish", which I have in the past clicked and then gone to downloads and double

click to the installation.  This time I  went to the downloads and double clicked, and the panel that

said 'finish' did not reappear to click that tab.

The popup that appears from time to time has at the top of it 'Join ______" (with my modem SSID number

next to it).  The apple icon is a white apple in the horizontal menu under this followed by: MAC  iPad  iPhone

.. TV New Support  a search icon and the icon for shopping.   Then appears the message: "The page you're looking for can't be found".   (I very large dark font)  {this is different color and size font that I have otherwise

seen for this message before, and it otherwise only appears when trying to visit a website and never

at the opening of Safari alone}   Under this message is a search box with that magnifying glass icon and

"Search apple.com" written in the box.   Then this very large pop-up says: "or see our site" and gives the

address:  https://apple.com/Ooktq3s55/prop47u3c.html

I am feeling frozen to click or explore any of it.  I click the 'cancel' tab in the lower right hand corner or the

red button at the upper left hand corner to close the window, and it closes -- but then appears again on entering Safari on another daily, perhaps every third day (which is to say not every time I enter Safari).

Unless I close or cancel this popup anything else is behind it: Sys Pref screens ,etc.

Is there a notice of this scam happening that I can read about?  What to do? (Please don't ask for a screenshot-

never done one before and trying something new at the same time as fearing the consequences of this as a

scam is too much for me right now.)

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Each browser has a plug-in interface.  Firefox (originally Netscape) offers the Netscape Plug-In Application Programing Interface (NPAPI).  Google Chrome and Chromium-based browsers (like Opera) offer something called the Pepper Plug-In Application Programing Interface (PPAPI).  Because nobody can resist a cutesy pun, Pepper is a companion to the NaCl (Native Client) interface, 'cause Salt & Pepper. 

There's also the ActiveX control, used by Internet Explorer and Edge on Windows.

Flash Player's j

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't sound like it has anything to do with Flash Player.  It's difficult at best to determine what it is without a screenshot (redacting the SSID of course).

Are you installing the PPAPI plugin for a browser other than Chrome?  If it's for Chrome, installing the PPAPI plugin is not necessary as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome.  However, like other modern browsers, Flash is disabled by default in Chrome and user must enable it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is for the Safari browser (10.1.2) not Chrome.

For MacBook Air 10.10.5  should I have disabled either of these two Safari extensions

before installing Flash Player:

- Adblock Plus 1.12.4 by Eyeo Gmb H

- Pin It Button 1.37.01 by Pinterest, Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player PPAPI plugin is for Chromium-based browsers.  It won't work on Safari.  For Safari you'll need to install the NPAPI plugin.

To uninstall the unneeded PPAPI plugin, download the uninstaller posted at Uninstall Flash Player for Mac OS .  Alternatively, navigate to /Applications/Utilities/Adobe Flash Player Install Manager.app and use that to uninstall Flash Player.

After uninstalling the unneeded PPAPI plugin, launch Safari and navigate to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  The page will auto-detect the operating system and browser and offer the correct NPAPI plugin.

Neither of those extensions should impact the Flash Player plugin installation, however, you can always try with them disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much.

I wonder why the PPAPI appears in the Safari>SystemPreferences>Flash Player >"updates"

and gives a tab to "install" it???!!

Would you explain so I can learn.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder why the PPAPI appears in the Safari>SystemPreferences>Flash Player >"updates"

and gives a tab to "install" it???!!

It's just an optional method to install it.  It doesn't mean it's installed. For example, in the following screenshot, I have Flash Player NPAPI plugin version 30.0.0.134 installed but do not have Flash Player PPAPI plugin installed (clearly labeled 'not installed'):

Screen Shot 2018-08-24 at 2.22.49 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but in the picture you give, as is what appears in my case, it says 'install now' -- next to PPAPI

(not installed)

Is that not an indication that it is an option for the computer it is appearing on, to "install now".

Or is it assumed that one would now that allow this appears, it is actually not appropriate

for the computer it is appearing on?  And on clicking it one goes to an abode site that

has links 'for those using the Chrome browser' -- to me that was further evidence that

I was downloading the PPAPI for MacAir 10.10.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots are the BEST way to show us exactly what you are seeing.  Typing everything can lead to misinterpretations.

When it checked on my current version of Adobe

it says that it is

version 30.0.0.154

for OS Mac OS 10.10.5 (64 bits)

Browser Safari

(and it also says that an error message would appear if the computer

had not properly installed Adobe Flash).

What is 'it'? What checked your current version? How are you attempting to uninstall Flash Player?  Are you attempting either of the methods I recommended? Or something else?

In Safari > Preferences > Flash Player > updates:

for both the NPAPI plug-in version and the PPAPI plug-in version

both

say the same number: 30.0.0154

A version number next to the NPAPI plugin and PPAPI plugin indicates have both NPAPI & PPAPI are installed.

At the Adobe site when it indicates what I am running

it doesn't specify NPAPI and PPAPI, only giving one number.

Would you help me to understand what this might mean?

What page are you going to?  There are several pages on adobe.com that return the Flash Player version.  However, for each of these, the version returned is for the browser in use.  If you are using a NPAPI browser (Firefox/Safari), then it only detects the NPAPI plugin (because NPAPI browser doesn't know about PPAPI plugins).  If installed, it returns the version installed.  Same thing for PPAPI-based browsers.

is there any harm being done?

Not sure I understand this question.  There is really is no harm in having both NPAPI & PPAPI plugins installed, assuming you have browsers that support both.  Since you're on a Mac, you would at least need NPAPI plugin to view Flash content (on the pre-installed Safari browser).  If you use a Chromium-based browser (other than Chrome, which embeds Flash Player) then you would need the PPAPI plugin.  If you don't use a PPAPI plugin, no need to have it installed.

does it take more space (much) on the computer?

any other drawback?

Any software takes up space on a computer.  Drawbacks?  See my reply to 'is there any harm'.

If there is any real loss in not have the PPAPI

plug-in (and that is what the two having the

same version number indicates) or you

confirm that that is in fact the case, even

after reviewing this message and how I

actually went about choosing the PPAPI install

tab on this MacAir>Safari>Preferences>Flash

Player>updates

then I would feel satisfied of making the

right decision to go through the uninstall

+ specific procedure you say there is for

PPAPI to be used with Safari.

Already answered.

but in the picture you give, as is what appears in my case, it says 'install now' -- next to PPAPI

(not installed)

Contradicts your previous statement:

both

Not sure what more I can provide.  What is seemingly a simple question has turned into something unnecessarily complicated.

Essentially:

• If you mainly use Firefox/Safari, install the NPAPI plugin.
  • If you mainly use a Chromium-based browser, other than Chrome, install the PPAPI plugin.
    • Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and there is no need to install it separately.
  • If you use both equally, install both.

Three simple options.

Do note that the various browsers block Flash by default, thus, you'll need to enable it, usually on a per-site basis.  The tech note Flash Player Help contains links to instructions to enable Flash on the various browsers.

Have a great day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2019 Nov 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

How???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Each browser has a plug-in interface.  Firefox (originally Netscape) offers the Netscape Plug-In Application Programing Interface (NPAPI).  Google Chrome and Chromium-based browsers (like Opera) offer something called the Pepper Plug-In Application Programing Interface (PPAPI).  Because nobody can resist a cutesy pun, Pepper is a companion to the NaCl (Native Client) interface, 'cause Salt & Pepper. 

There's also the ActiveX control, used by Internet Explorer and Edge on Windows.

Flash Player's job is to smooth out all the lumps between browsers and make everything look uniform, so what you see as one product is something like 30 distinct pieces of software, which serve various needs and various combinations of operating systems and browsers.

So, while Google Chrome both supports PPAPI and bundles Flash Player as a built-in component, there are other totally legitimate use-cases which would call for installing a system-wide copy of the PPAPI Flash Player.

In general, if you have a browser and you want to use Flash Player, all you have to do is go here:

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

We try to make it super easy by detecting what you're using and give you the right download (or telling you that you don't need one).

If you dig around in the control panel, you'll run across the more advanced controls.

If you want all the nitty-gritty details, the Flash Player System Administrator's Guide is pretty comprehensive:

Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalling is quite the procedure.

When it checked on my current version of Adobe

it says that it is

version 30.0.0.154

Browser Safari

(and it also says that an error message would appear if the computer

had not properly installed Adobe Flash).

I take it that it is installed and only this version 30.0.0.154

both

At the Adobe site when it indicates what I am running

it doesn't specify NPAPI and PPAPI, only giving one number.

Would you help me to understand what this might mean? 

I'm wondering: do I actually have the same version,

twice -- can possibly the NPAPI twice as you say

this is what runs on my MacAir anyway and only,

(unless one makes the specific efforts after

downloading the NPAPI) - if I understand properly.

So, if I were to leave things as they are, according

to Adobe reading:

version 30.0.0.154

Browser Safari

but it just on my

Safari>Preferences>FlashPlayer>updates

as both in NPAPI and PPAPI (which is marked

on my computer as 'installed')

is there any harm being done?

does it take more space (much) on the computer?

any other drawback?

Not actually having access to the PPAPI plug-in

(even though it says 'installed' and allowed it

at the adobe site for this Mac OS 10.10.5

and indicated to use different link for Chrome)

what are drawbacks to this?  Would you review

our conversation:  are you still sure that

even though I clicked on Safari > Preferences>

FlashPlayer> the link for the PPAPI plug-in version

and did the installation I was to use for the Mac OS

10.10.5, and it now indicates at Preferences

that this version has been 'installed' -- that I

have not actually installed PPAPI???

If there is any real loss in not have the PPAPI

plug-in (and that is what the two having the

same version number indicates) or you

confirm that that is in fact the case, even

after reviewing this message and how I

actually went about choosing the PPAPI install

tab on this MacAir>Safari>Preferences>Flash

Player>updates

then I would feel satisfied of making the

right decision to go through the uninstall

+ specific procedure you say there is for

PPAPI to be used with Safari.

Thank you for you patience, time

and consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines