Oct 17, 2020 Oct 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if u dont continue to support adobe i will ignore all adobe product by miles 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know how that works out.

From almost all of the other posts about Flash ending, all I'm seeing for any type of  'Support' about this (community as well as official), is that we're all SoL and we need to learn how to deal without.

I haven't seen any suggestions on what to use as a replacement, nor have I seen any reply that doesn't boil down to: "Companies have known this for 3 years. If they haven't done anything about it and you no longer need Flash Player, then we suggest you uninstall and find something else to do."

So basically in a nutshell, everyone who will still needs it is screwed, and a lot of people (like myself) who has no clue on what still needs it and what doesn't, won't know until things just stop working.

As of now I still as yet have to find anyone with an actually helpful answer, instead of a redirect to the same statements over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are a creator of a web site using Flash: you had three year to sort this out.

If you are just an ordinary user of a web site using Flash, and they haven't sorted it out: you are indeed out of luck, if they don't sort it out in the next 2 months. There IS no plan B. These sites WILL stop working. I suggest you uninstall and find something else to do.

It's easy enough to know which sites need Flash Player today, on an up to date system. If you use a site with Flash Player, you get a warning asking you if you want to enable Flash. No warning, no Flash, no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"So basically in a nutshell, everyone who will still needs it is screwed, and a lot of people (like myself) who has no clue on what still needs it and what doesn't, won't know until things just stop working."

All browser vendors have blocked Flash Player by default for quite some time now (well over 6 months, closer to 1 year).  If you've not been prompted to enable Flash, then you've not visited any content that requires Flash Player recently.

"As of now I still as yet have to find anyone with an actually helpful answer, instead of a redirect to the same statements over and over."

The answer is that content developers have had oveer 3 years to migrate their Flash content from Flash Player to some other technology.  Some have, some haven't.  The onus has always been on the content developer to migrate.  It's unfortunate that some developers of popular games have chosen not to, but that decision is on them.

ttps://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, Flash Player has been dying for years.  This should come as no surprise to anyone.  It's time to accept it and move on.

Nancy O'Sheaā€” Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2020 Oct 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well i will accept but also will AVOID ALL ADOBE PRODUCTS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nancy OShea 

if one day some strangers come to say to you "it's time to move from your home, we are going to destroy it"

would you accept it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that is complete wrong comparision 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to have to agree with @Dragutin5CC9 on this one.

I would NOT accept it. I would fight for my home with everything I had...like any other human being.

While I accept now that Flash will be going away, the comparison you made is grossly offensive, and honestly not a good picture to paint about the company and it's other products.

I will be Boycotting Adobe immediately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert Mc Dowell 

If by stranger you mean a devastating, wind-driven California wildfire, it doesn't get much stranger than that.  And we don't get any choice in the matter.  We leave when authorities tell us to leave and hope for the best šŸ™‚ 

A slightly better analogy is if someone had told me 3 years ago I would have to vacate my home and move someplace else, I would have made preparations for it before now.

In reality, Adobe is not taking away people's homes.  The browsers have pulled the plug on an aged out media player that has outlived its usefulness.  It's no more tragic than the demise of  QuickTime Player, Silverlight, Java Applets and other browser technologies we no longer need or use. Get over it and move on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy,

> We leave when authorities tell us to leave and hope for the best.

Well, according to the law, no one but yourself has authority on yourself. If you delegate your own authority so it's a political and spiritual choice.

> A slightly better analogy is if someone had told me 3 years ago I would have to vacate my home and move someplace else, I would have made preparations for it before now.

Really? Even if it's unlawful? what if you built this house with your hand, money on a land belonging to your family since generations?

> In reality, Adobe is not taking away people's homes. The browsers have pulled the plug on an aged

I know it's not Adobe fault. But in same time, to not offer a converter nor any good alternatives and just say to developers "Hey guys, you should reinvent the wheel and convert all your code in javascript, thanks!" is not really nice, especially when you accumlate millions line of code using classes, functions that even don't exist in javascript (Ie Network classes with UDP multicast, Stage3D etc...). I'm sure a good converter could be developped by Adobem and even if they were selling it $1000 I'm sure they would make a fortune.

> It's no more tragic than the demise of QuickTime Player, Silverlight, Java Applets

There is no comparison between these technologies that appeared a couple of years on browsers and Flash that was the main technology to make animations, UI interfaces, Robotics, Audio/Video streaming for a good 20 years.

Anyhow, maybe Adobe will have the intelligence and respect to integrate an option to compile in WASM in anmiate so a lot of developers will say Halelluya and will have the joy to continue to develop in Actionscript or why not TypeScript if they wish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where I live, fire consumes everything. So no choice really.

Since when did discontinuing a product become unlawful?  There's nothing unlawful here.

I've never been sentimental about technologies because they come and go faster than hand sanitizer in a pandemic. In the grand scheme of things, Flash has been living on borrowed time ever since Adobe acquired Macromedia in 2005.  The fact that Flash lasted as long as it did is in no small part because of Adobe's efforts and no one else.  Some folks might even argue they kept it going too long.  But that's another discussion for another time. 

Flash Player will officially end on Dec 31st because the browsers don't want to support it anymore.  A happy ending for the browsers but an unhappy ending for anyone who is still heavily invested in Flash. And that is truly sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you have hundreds of thousands of $$ to help me to convert my code so I'm ok to change technologies.

when so much fire is around you it's always worth to know the cause with proofs... for now I don't think that javascript is a new technlogy since it exists since 1993.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ECMAScript (the JavaScript standard) is in its 11th edition published in June 2020. So we are NOT using the same JavaScript from 1997. JS continues to evolve and be maintained. 

If you look at the source code to any major website today you'll see at least one JS API or framework  -- Node, React, Angular, Vue, jQuery or plain vanilla.  JS is everywhere.  And you don't need any stinking special players to make it work.  JS is natively supported by all browsers. So it's definitely worth knowing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines