• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Latest Flash Player installer is a piece of garbage

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been installing Flash Player updates for years without a problem. The latest update is terrible. It keeps opening and closing browser windows for every browser you have installed. Panels keep opening and reopening after closing. It's like a piece of malware. No idea if it left any garbage behind. The final thing that pissed me off is it forcibly changed my home page without permission. It only did this on Google Chrome my default browser. Safari and Firefox still had the proper home page.

WTF Adobe? Please don't do this crap again. How can I trust ANY of your software now?

cartman-bird.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Hi,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you downloaded a fake/malicious Flash Player installer file.  Nothing you describe would happen if an official Flash Player installer from adobe.com (or macromedia.com) was used to install Flash Player.  From what site did you download the installer you used?

It only did this on Google Chrome my default browser. Safari and Firefox still had the proper home page.

Chrome uses the PPAPI plugin, Safari and Firefox use the NPAPI plugin.  They are not interchangeable.

You

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you downloaded a fake/malicious Flash Player installer file.  Nothing you describe would happen if an official Flash Player installer from adobe.com (or macromedia.com) was used to install Flash Player.  From what site did you download the installer you used?

It only did this on Google Chrome my default browser. Safari and Firefox still had the proper home page.

Chrome uses the PPAPI plugin, Safari and Firefox use the NPAPI plugin.  They are not interchangeable.

You can try using the Flash Player uninstaller, posted at Uninstall Flash Player for Mac OS to uninstall Flash Player, assuming the official uninstaller will remove whatever malicious files were installed.

As for cleaning up your system, I'd recommend running a complete scan for viruses, malware, adware, spyware, etc.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 26, 2017 Jul 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To close the loop on this, customer messaged me indicating this was (unfortunately) indeed a fake/malicious installer.

While there is a legitimate Flash Player update notification, bad actors have taken to making legitimate looking notification dialog windows that, sometimes, are difficult to distinguish from legitimate update notifications.  When in doubt, close out of the update notification dialog and go directly to get.adobe.com/flashplayer to update Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines