Local Settings Manager won't retain settings

New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My PC environment:

• Windows 8.1
  • IE 11
  • Flash player version (pre-installed) 29.0.0.113 - checked, it is the latest version aleady

I have encountered the same problem, what should I do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've moved this to a new thread, so that the people in the old thread (which had a totally different root-cause, and is already fixed) don't continue to get email about it.

Settings are stored in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

If the settings aren't getting retained, that's typically because:

• That file is corrupted
  • That file is getting deleted
      There are some "privacy" tools that delete this file. 
       Ironically, this has the effect of setting all of your privacy preferences to default again, since that's where they're stored.
  • You lack permissions to modify that file
  • You're in an enterprise environment where something complicated is happening, like your user folder is redirected to network storage.  If that's the case, your sysadmin might want to consider deploying a configuration with the EnableLocalAppData option enabled. 

Details here:
    https://wwwimages2.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guid...

So, I'd start with checking for and repairing any problems with the local filesystem:

Check your hard disk for errors - Windows 7:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432

If that doesn't help, then try deleting settings.sol at the location above.

If you can't delete it, you probably can't write to it, either.  Windows will either tell you about the permission problem that you're experiencing, or it will just fail.  In either case, something is wrong with the underlying system.  We don't install Flash Player in this instance, so there's not a lot we can do about it.

You can try uninstalling the last Windows Update that affected Flash Player, reboot, then reinstall it by running Windows Update.  This tends to fix a lot of problems where Flash-related files get damaged.  If that doesn't help, you might have to talk to Windows support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2018 Apr 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have allowed to use the camera and microphone access (via Global setting manager in browser or in control panel) for a particular site. The settings are stored inside:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\<website>\settings.sol

However, every time when I close IE, it delete the folders and files under /sys/. That's why the settings cannot be retained.

I uncheck the "cookies and data" options in "deleting browser history" and then the settings will not be removed.

I do not expect delete browser cookies will affect flash settings. Would you please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a closer look at this, and I see mostly what you're describing.

Global settings themselves are stored a directory down, and are preserved.

You'll see that this file persists:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\settings.sol

You can set coarse security preferences, like "Block all sites from storing information on this computer" or "Ask me before...".

When you create per-site settings, that results in a settings.sol getting created for each individual website, like I described above:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\<website>\settings.sol

Internet Explorer definitely deletes those.  This makes sense if you think about it, because retaining those settings leaves evidence of the fact that you use a particular website.  By choosing "delete browsing history on exit", you're expressing that you want no evidence of your web browsing activity to persist past the session.  If you really want to delete your browsing history, then you have to get rid of those directories, because they compose a list of at least a subset of the websites that you use.

So that's the deal.  There's a direct trade-off between privacy and convenience in this instance.  If you want your browsing activities to leave no trace, then you have to authorize things on a per-access basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I do not intent to set it per site.

If not storing the site-specific information, may I apply the permission to all sites? How can I config it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can just right-click and choose Global Settings, then set the preference there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried before. The settings will also be removed after I close the browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I'm seeing is that the coarse settings stick (Allow/Ask/Block All).  Any per-site settings (even if you set them from the global panel) are going to get deleted, because those settings get set in the per-site folders.

If the global settings are also getting blown away, my advice above still applies.  I'm definitely not able to reproduce that with a pristine, full-patched Win8.1 machine with IE and the "delete history preference on exit" set.  There may be additional customizations that you've employed that result in this behavior, but I don't know what it would have been off the top of my head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines