• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

mac osx 10.6: installing archived flash doesn't help

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2018 Sep 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i'm a noob and have a decade old macbook running snow leopard 10.6 and installed the correct archived version flash.

but flash webpages still display weird black and white triangle shapes in the middle of the page...

is flash supposed to run fine on this old macbook as long as i install the correct flash, right?

or did i maybe not install it correctly?

the zip folder contained 3 dmg files, 1 is for installation, 2nd is for debug, and 3rd for uninstallation: i just clicked the first two and restarted the browsers.

is this wrong?

can someone tell me how exactly to do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible you have the debug version installed.  Go to https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html and click the Check Now button.  The system information widget will display the version installed and if it's debug version or not.  Unless you're developing Flash content you don't want the debug version installed.

With that said, it's recommended to use the last version of Flash (currently 31.0.0.108) as it contains security fixes lacking in archived versions of Flash.  While OS X 10.6 is no longer supported (meaning we don't develop or test for it), installation is not blocked, however, play-back and performance may be impacted.  Go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions.  In step 1, select macOS, in step 2 select the browser you wish to install Flash Player for. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i'm using chrome and the "check now" url you provided shows version 21.0.0.213... which is weird because it"s different than the archive zip version i just installed. this is the full check result i got: 

YOUR SYSTEM INFORMATOIN

YOUR FLASH VERSION : 21.0.0.213

YOUR BROWSER NAME : GOOGLE CHROME (PPAPI)

YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM : MACINTOSH OSX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't realize you were using Chrome.  Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome, and the last supported version of Chrome on OS X 10.6 isn't aware of the version you installed.  It only loads the embedded version, therefore, it's showing a different version than what you installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so which OS do i need to make flash work more ok than now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 30, 2018 Sep 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, such an old Flash is likely to have problems with new Flash apps.

But still, maybe you're going to a lot of trouble for not much. Flash is on its way out, according to Adobe and the browser makers. By 2020, they say, it will be dead. Meanwhile, design changes are intended to make it irritating to use. The web sites using Flash are likely to adapt and use something else soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 01, 2018 Oct 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Tech specs | Adobe Flash Player for current supported operating systems and browsers.

On OS X 10.6, you can use Firefox or Safari as those don't embed Flash Player in the browser.  They also use a different plugin type, NPAPI, than Chrome (PPAPI), so you would need to download the appropriate compatible plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, you should really run the latest version of MacOS that your hardware will support. 

We *are* getting to a place where OS X leaves some Intel hardware behind (in which case, you should think about retiring it for web browsing and/or anything important), but to the extent that you can keep the operating system patched, you should.

There's a list that you can use here:

Mac OS X Compatibility Guide by Mac Model

You can figure out what model you have by looking under Apple > About This Mac > System Report

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines