Malware from fake update ad?

New Here ,
Aug 06, 2017 Aug 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS Sierra Version 10.12.16

Safari Version 10.1.2

Adobe Flash 26.0.0.137

Question: I recently had a ad come up that said "Adobe Flash is out of date" and told me to download the update. Knowing this ad was a scam (from the url and reading about it online), I have always clicked no in the past. This time, I accidentally clicked "ok" and it downloaded, but I did not install it. I immediately deleted the download and emptied the trash. I've heard of people getting malware from these (after installation) and want to make sure just the download didn't do anything. Are there any important steps you can recommend taking to protect from the malware?

Thank you

Note: the "adobe update" ad was from youasofts.com

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2017 Aug 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the issue. You are recommended to download the latest version of Flash Player from Adobe Flash Player Install for all versions page. During installation or even post installation you can go to system preferences, and select Flash Player, go to updates tab and select "Allow Adobe to install updates". This will help in keeping you updated as Flash Player updates are pushed on the connected machines on internet within 24hours of the newer version release.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm desperate. It seems I downloaded Adobe Flash player from an unauthorized site, and I began to get pop ups, and tabs from unknown sites began to open saying that I had malware that needed to be deleted from my mac. I immediately deleted Flash Player and began to delete any other files that I thought might be related. However, I'm still having the same issue. Every time I open up Safari, and try to access a site or click something, there's a pop up saying that Flash Player needs to be updated, and it gives me an option to click "ok", or 'cancel' , and if I click cancel for example a window opens up with some advertisement or telling me to scan and delete malware from my laptop. It's just really frustrating.

Please, help me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, you were tricked into downloading a fake Flash Player installer.  The most appropriate reply is the second reply at Re: Latest Adobe Flash Update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines