Malware/Virus Flashplayer

New Here ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was prompted to update my Adobe Flashplayer last week on my Macbook Pro.

Today I noticed my search engine had been changed to Yahoo from Google. Trying to figure out what to do? Should I put the Adobe Flashplayer in my applications in the trash? Not sure if that's the cause.If there a way to tell if it's ok?

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Official Flash Player installer, downloaded from adobe.com, does not modify any user settings, such as modifying user's search engine preference.

If you believe this happened after installing Flash Player, you were most likely tricked into downloading a malicious Flash Player installer.  Unfortunatley, there are many malicious actors who post fake/malicious Flash Player update notifications to trick people into downloading/running these fake installers which often include malware/viruses/etc and can modify user settings.

I would recommend uninstalling the Flash Player you downloaded last week, running a complete system scan for viruses, malware, adware, etc, and then download the official Flash Player installer from Adobe and https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer.  When installing Flash Player, select the option 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'.  With this option selected, Flash Player pings Adobe's servers once per day to check if an update is available.  If an update is available, it automatically downloads and installs Flash Player (and only Flash Player) silently in the background with no user interaction required.  This is similar to how browsers such as Chrome and Firefox download and install updates silently without user interaction.

You don't mention which browser you use, but if you use Chrome, there is no need to install Flash Player separately, as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome and updates for the embedded version are released by Google.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines