• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

McAfee installing after opt out

New Here ,
Apr 20, 2019 Apr 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated Adobe today opted out of the McAfee, double checked the box was defiantly not ticked. (it should be opt in). then clicked the install button, up popped the progress bars page showing Adobe and McAfee, there is no option to stop the download at this stage. After installation ended I went to uninstall McAfee is not there.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did you download the update? Did you follow a link on a web page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have auto updates turned off. I clicked on the update box that opened on my pc when I logged in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I work on Flash Player itself -- we provide binaries to the distribution team responsible for packaging and monetizing them, so I can't speak to the details of their implementation, but I've investigated dozens of reports like this over the years, and I've yet to find one where we were deploying the wrong payload under normal operating conditions.

What I see in practice, is in the unlikely event that a monetized payload gets deployed and the user has either opted out or was not presented with the opt-out dialog, there was a third-party browser plug-in in play that prevented the logic on our page from operating as written, there was a third-party plug-in "manager" in play that was circumventing our download page and grabbing the monetized payload, or it was a fake download where someone repackaged our distributable, bundled a little extra "gift", and redistributed that modified version from a third-party site.  Where plugins are involved, the usual suspects are typically ad-blockers, anti-tracking plugins and other "security" plugins that modify logic on the page.

That said, we'd strongly recommend that you just turn on automatic updates.  It ensures you get the latest security patches when they become available (particularly in the event of an 0-day).  You won't get prompted for updates, have the potential to be tricked by a fake update download, and you won't have to opt-out of anything to get the latest player.  We forego any revenue opportunities to ensure that you're patched.  It's good for herd-immunity and the health of the network, and it's painless.

If you don't think that any of those scenarios applies, I'm more than happy to try and reproduce this, and will gladly get a bug going with the distribution team if there's a reproducible problem.  In order to narrow down the universe of possibilities, it would be really helpful to know what the OS and default browser in play were, what the name of the file you downloaded was (if you still have it in your download history), and roughly where you're located geographically.  We use a content distribution network of thousands of geographically distributed servers, and I want to attempt to reproduce this as accurately as possible.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines