• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No Sound in Videos in Firefox without Flash Player Installed

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday Firefox decided to remove the Flash while I was in the middle of listening to a concert online. I didn't realize this happened but I lost all sound. I tried to troubleshoot to no avail and that's when I discovered that Flash had been removed. I reinstalled it and the music continued. In the meantime I did look at something in the Edge browser which I don't prefer and there was sound there. So is there something with Firefox that will not work when Flash goes away? Can you shed some light on this for me please? I also asked this to the Firefox community but I have received no replies yet.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

TOPICS
Browser , End of life , Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Many years ago, it was popular to use a 1x1 pixel Flash movie to play sound, because sound support via JavaScript in the browser wasn't good.  That has long since changed, and JavaScript and modern browsers have good Sound support.

It's very possible that the service you're using still uses this technique (if it's not broken...).  If it does, it's going to stop working soon.  You should complain to them, and ask them to remove their dependency on Flash, or find an alternate service to use.

H

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From which website were you streaming? 

What's the URL? 

Do they specifically say that Flash Player is necessary?  If not, Flash Player probably has nothing to do with it.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was listening at Fans.live but when the sound went out I went to a Youtube video I had cued up for later and there was no sound there either. So i did a search like my question here and it took me to a microsoft link which opened either internet explorer or edge and there was sound there. I can disable Flash again and see if the trouble repeats. There was no warning in the FAQ at FANS that it required Flash.

This all being said, you think there is a setting in windows that might have done this when Flash was taken off the computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this Fireworks  Firefox article

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-common-audio-and-video-issues

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's it at all. All the points in that article are familiar to me and I have mine set exactly as they say. All I know is it all worked when I reinstalled Flash. We will see once January 1 rolls around. Interesting no one from FF has replied yet but I haven't read all my mail yet today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many years ago, it was popular to use a 1x1 pixel Flash movie to play sound, because sound support via JavaScript in the browser wasn't good.  That has long since changed, and JavaScript and modern browsers have good Sound support.

It's very possible that the service you're using still uses this technique (if it's not broken...).  If it does, it's going to stop working soon.  You should complain to them, and ask them to remove their dependency on Flash, or find an alternate service to use.

Here's the original announcement from 2017: 

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I have time over the weekend I will take flash out and experiment and see. it's not the site as I said before sound worked in Edge or IE (not sure which one opened). Then I can come back here and tell you what I found. I know the rules and the whens. That doesn't answer why I had no sound without Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines