• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Not able to update PPAPI. Download & install runs, but nothing changes & the ‘update available’ pop-up is driving me crazy!

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nearly the same thing happened with the -regions update last month.  Last time though, the update did install, but the ‘update available’ pop-up kept interrupting me over and over and over.  Today, it appears that the install is not working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Thanks for providing the information.  We are aware that the PPAPI plugin link is incorrectly redirecting in some browsers.  It is scheduled to be fixed, however, I don't have an estimate on the fix at this time.

In the interim, to ensure you get the PPAPI plugin, go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions.  In step 1 select your OS.  In step 2 select the PPAPI plugin.  Click Download now button in the bottom right to download the PPAPI plugin installer

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don’t know what happened in my question post — it shouldn’t have ‘regions in it.  It should say that nearly the same thing happened with the prior update last month.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2018 Dec 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using Chrome, there's no need to install the PPAPI plugin separately as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome, but does disable/block it by default forcing users to enable it.  To enable/allow Flash in Chrome, see Google's help document Use or fix Flash audio & video - Computer - Google Chrome Help

If you've updated the plugin, but continue to get update notifications it's most likely that you have Flash Player for a different browser (e.g. Firefox, IE) and it's one of those that is prompting the update notification.  Please provide a screenshot of the Flash Player Settings Manager > Updates tab:

Windows:  Control Panel\All Control Panel Items > Flash Player > Updates tab

Mac: System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab

Also provide the following:

• operating system (including version)
  • browser configured as the default browser

Thank you

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi —

Thanks for getting back to me. I apologize for the delay in replying, but I haven’t had much of a chance to sit down with my laptop until this evening.

LINK FOR V32 DOWNLOAD

https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/download/?installer=FP_32_Mac_for_Safari_and_Firefox_-_NPAPI&stype=7780&standalone=1

As you can see, instead of being labeled PPAPI, the file that returns from the update search for v32 is actually labeled NPAPI. (The initial IRL says it’s going to retrieve the PPAPI though: https://get3.adobe.com/flash player/update/PPAPI OSF/).

I’m running Mojave 10.14.2 on the laptop. I prefer to keep my settings so that I will be notified for updates rather than use the automatic updates. It’s probably a very good thing I do or I might not have noticed that the PPAPI file wasn’t actually updated.

I also prefer to use the native browser for Mac — Safari. Not everyone out here is in love with Google or Chrome.

I look forward to hearing back from you & getting the issue fixed.

Thanks!

Beverly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing the information.  We are aware that the PPAPI plugin link is incorrectly redirecting in some browsers.  It is scheduled to be fixed, however, I don't have an estimate on the fix at this time.

In the interim, to ensure you get the PPAPI plugin, go to https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions.  In step 1 select your OS.  In step 2 select the PPAPI plugin.  Click Download now button in the bottom right to download the PPAPI plugin installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed the instructions and downloaded/installed the PPAPI file. It didn’t say it was for Safari so I’m counting on your better knowledge that it works for that browser. After the install my Flash Player settings still said v31 so I tried closing out of settings & opening it again. I’m at v32 now.

I hope Adobe gets this worked out before the next round of updates. It’s always been a simple process up until the past two sets of update files where the PPAPI file was problematic in both sets.

Thanks for the assist!

Beverly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PPAPI plugin is for chromium-based browsers (Chrome, Opera).  For Safari,  you'll want to install the NPAPI plugin.

If you're only PPAPI-based browser is Chrome there is no need to install PPAPI plugin separately, as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome.

All major browsers do block Flash by default, forcing users to enable it on a per site basis.  In the case of Chrome, Chrome deletes the list of sites the user has 'Allowed' Flash on when Chrome is closed, forcing users to allow Flash again in a future browsing session.

Links to instructions to allow/unblock Flash in the various browsers are posted at https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem with that is I don’t have Chrome on my laptop. I only have Safari & Firefox. If neither need the PPAPI file then why do the Flash Player updates/notifications always require that both the PPAPI & the NPAPI be run for the updates? If updates for both aren’t installed the ‘updates available’ pop-up keeps popping — maybe every hour or so until the updates are applied.

B.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're receiving update notifications for both, both NPAPI & PPAPI plugin were installed at some point in the past (whether or not they are used).  Flash Player will not prompt to update a player type (NPAPI or PPAPI) that does not exist on the system.

If you don't have a Chromium-based browser installed, there's no need to have the PPAPI plugin installed.  Unfortunately, there isn't a way to uninstall only PPAPI (or NPAPI for that matter) on Mac, so both would need to be uninstalled and then re-install just the NPAPI plugin.  To do this:

1. Download the uninstaller posted at Uninstall Flash Player for Mac OS
  2. Using Firefox or Safari, download the NPAPI plugin from https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer
  3. Exit out of (don't just close the browser window, actually exit out of) all browsers
  4. Run the uninstaller downloaded in step 1
  5. Run the NPAPI installer downloaded in step 2

When installing the NPAPI plugin we recommend selecting the update option "Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)".  This updates Flash Player (only the one installed on the system) within 24 hours of a new version being available.  In contrast, the "Notify me to install updates" can take up to 7 days after an update is available to display the update notification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines