NPAPI PLUG-In Installed

PPAPI Plug-in Not Installed

Please explain.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2014 Jun 18, 2014

NPAPI and PPAPI are types of browser plug-ins supported by Flash Player for various browsers. 

NPAPI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Native Client - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Until recently, the PPAPI version of Flash Player was just a built-in part of the Chrome browser; however, we're now shipping a version of Flash Player debugger for PPAPI, which you can download from:

Download Adobe Flash Player 14 Beta for Desktops - Adobe Labs

As it is possible to have both NPAPI and PPAPI p

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2015 Jan 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

is this plugin necessary? I am using Safari 8.0.2 and Firefox 34.0, on an Apple Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Chrome is dropping support for NPAPI. Its PPAPI pepper plugin is now the default option.

This new plugin is what we'll have to live with in the future if we want to continue support for Google Chrome.

In my case, I maintain FlashFirebug which is a browser extension for Flash development on Firefox and Chrome, it's now broken on Chrome due to the PPAPI plugin. Although 95% of our users use FireFox, decisions like dropping a technology tend to go viral very quickly with Opera already on board

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks for the response.

so I gather that I don't need it.

appreciate your response

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2015 Jan 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that Firefox has no intention of either meaningfully improving the NPAPI interface or adding support for PPAPI, so I expect NPAPI support in Firefox to be around for the foreseeable future.

For Chromium-based browsers, PPAPI is the way forward and I would look at NPAPI support (where it exists) as a short-term compatibility bridge and a dependency that you should be excising for long-term viability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2015 Jan 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeromie, I wonder why the allComplete handler and external interfaces from my preloadSWF are not functioning in PPAPI Debug Flash Player?

I've went ahead and filed a bug report. I hope you guys can investigate this.

I've sent you a private message to give you some information about our FlashFirebug extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2015 Jan 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could someone kindly update me on this? FlashDevelop, FlashBuilder, Flash Professional IDE

All of them require and use the allComplete event to implement profiling. We use it for debugging target SWFs.

Was this something intended? If so, what's the workaround? Is there any logical reason why the allComplete event is not firing in the PPAPI player?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 20, 2015 Jan 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like a bug.  The PPAPI debugger is fairly new and we haven't seen very much feedback on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2015 Feb 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I can confirm Chrome is failing to install the PPAPI debugger. It will fail to come up in the list. Its trying to load the default one or  /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin instead instead.

I have tried 3 times and failed. The global manager also has no effect on it's security. It is a fact google likes to break the internet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you're correct that the PPAPI Plug-In in Chrome doesn't talk to the native control panel.  The NCP reads and writes to the central Flash Player config files, but the Chrome sandbox doesn't allow read/write access to those, so you have to manage everything from within Chrome.  This is one of those trade-offs between usability and security, and we'd rather keep you protected from malware to the extent possible and have you use the older UI.  It's the same reason that the config files for PPAPI have their own paths.

If you've disabled everything but the debugger in chrome://plugins and you're not able to get the debugger loaded, please let me know what OS and Chrome version you're using.  I'll ask someone to take a look.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry to bother you but how do you know if you are on the degugger version.

I checked here Flash Player Help and it just displays you flash version 16.0.0.296

last time i was on the debugger version it displays 16.0.0.296 (debugger) the debugger is highleted in red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeroime I have installed the PPAPI 4 times now from the downloads. It does not register in chrome on OSX i just see those two in the list, its trying to load the other version for Firefox instead. Chrome silently installed a 64bit version btw,. If you are attrempting to replace the inbuilt one

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/40.0.2214.94/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlash/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin

It most certainly isn't the debugger I get no error console.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you grabbing the right one?  Both the standard PPAPI player and PPAPI debuggers are listed on that page.

http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/flashruntimes/flashplayer/flashplayer16_debug_mac_ppapi.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/16/flashplayer_16_ppapi_debug.dmg

off the main download page that one is an older version. it registers it is installed.

/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/40.0.2214.94/Google Chrome Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/PepperFlash/PepperFlashPlayer.plugin

that is what it registers as the default plugin and the firefox one which won't work on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2015 Mar 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any ideas ? This is pretty crazy. The debugger does not work even though installed into chrome and no console output. Way to kill the internet google. ! Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone knows how to get trace output under PPAPI flashplayer?

I tried the way this thread says: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/27791515/how-to-get-trace-output-from-ppapi-content-debugger-flas...

But it not work.

I don't even see "show debug regions" item in right click menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2015 Mar 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie Clark Can not install PPAPI either.

The built-in version is 17.0.0.134, i download 17.0.0.141 from labs and then click to install.

Everything seems work well during installation. After that it is still the older version in chrome://plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HiWeird thing, it finally installed for some reason. I installed chrome a couple of weeks ago. Then the other day, it said it was available to download. 

To: Louis Abbatepaolo <louis_11725@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2015 4:05 AM

Subject: NPAAPI Plugin - PPAPI Plug-in

NPAAPI Plugin - PPAPI Plug-in

created by sevengo8378 in Flash Player Beta Channel - View the full discussionJeromie Clark Can not install PPAPI either.The built-in version is 17.0.0.134, i download 17.0.0.141 from labs and then click to install. Everything seems work well during installation. After that it is still the older version in chrome://plugins. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7310743#7310743 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7310743#7310743 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" Start a new discussion in Flash Player Beta Channel by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome doesn't use the standalone PPAPI installer.  Flash Player is a built-in component of Chrome, and there's nothing separate to install or download.

The Standalone PPAPI installer is for other Chromium-based browsers that use PPAPI Flash Player, like Chromium and Opera.  We *did* ship an update for the Standalone PPAPI installer, but it's just to address a bug that prevents the update notifications for new builds from being displayed on that specific target.  We pushed it out via background update so that the population of users on the standalone PPAPI installer would get the update notification for Flash Player 17, which is currently available for download.

If you update Chrome (Menu > About Chrome), you should get Flash Player 17 at this point.  Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/updaters/17/flashplayer_17_ppapi_debug.dmg

so this does not work in chrome therefore debugging is completely broken in chrome including sandbox settings manager ? I have to debug in firefox now to bring up exception errors or  I have to load chrome into  a local python server to bring up console logs that uses externalinterface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems so...

Bad news for developers who uses Chrome as a main browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bad architects all around. There are so many things they've broken its not funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear:

On Mac, the PPAPI debugger does not work because Chrome lacks support for loading a plugin automatically from the system location (you might be able to load it with Chrome commandline flags, but we're not testing it).  You *can* use the PPAPI plug-in on Mac in Chromium and Opera on Mac.  We're going to ping Google again to see if they'll prioritize that work since the PPAPI debugger is shipping and works in other PPAPI Mac browsers.

On Windows, the PPAPI debugger works in Chrome. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is OK. I can stop using chrome completely  then and test with chromium. It might be a good idea to document the downloads are not for chrome.

This is on OSX also.

It's not just that though it fails to use the system preference pane and
"Trusted locations" is completely ignored.

Thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just downloaded chromium and it's much worse. There isn't any flash installed and it's not loading the installed debugger version. Any ideas ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what's up.  I may have misunderstood and Chromium-based in practice just means Opera at this point when you're talking about Mac.  I'll have to go ask around a little more.  Our focus is on Chrome, and Chrome Mac doesn't support the debugger that we're shipping, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend energy there until Chrome support is available.  Sorry about the confusion though, I use Mac in my day-to-day, but I'm on my Windows machine when I'm debugging with Flash Builder or Flash Pro.

PPAPI Debugger works in Opera, I just checked.  You do have to go into about:plugins and enable the right one.  Other Chromium-based browser may also work, but they have to have added code to look at the default system location for the Pepper plug-in.

In the interest of transparency, I don't see us investing a ton of resources here at the moment.  I want to respect your time, and if you're just trying to get your day-to-day done without a lot of friction, you're way better off debugging in NPAPI on Mac.  We got the PPAPI debugger working to some degree, but it's not really a first-class citizen, mostly because of how ugly it is to try and get it working in the context of PPAPI.  We're really dependent on the browser to enable a lot of stuff, and there are much more interesting problems than servicing Flash developers with special APIs and functionality (all of which represent new attack surface to the browser folks).  I'm happy to queue up bugs for a rainy day, but the frustration is coming through in your posts and I don't want to give you a false sense that we're going to entirely revamp the debugger in the next few weeks.  It's something we'll improve incrementally, but a lot of it is gated by work that would need to be accepted into the Chromium project, or implemented in each browser vendor's individual fork. 

Controlling the PPAPI debugger through config files is pretty problematic given the complexities around the filesystem isolation in the PPAPI architecture, so it's super clunky in that context.  Isolating plug-ins is ultimately a good thing general, and had we built the debugger in 2015, using config files to set all of these flags would probably be a non-starter, but if we were going to complete rebuild how all of that stuff works as a prerequisite to getting an initial PPAPI debugger out the door, odds are that it wouldn't have ever shipped. 

There's a clear trend in the browser space of restricting filesystem access in general to plug-ins, so we're probably going to have to consider alternate mechanisms eventually, but there are no obvious, easy alternatives jumping out at me.  Right now, we have the most freedom in NPAPI, and that's where the debugger plugin is going to work best.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines