• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

NPAPI Flash Player no longer saving/caching

Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had a critical OS error forcing a reinstall.

Since doing this and recovering what I could from the previous install, I no longer have any functionality in the Flash cache. I am given the Allow/Deny dialog every time for the same flash application served (accept caching, refresh, dialog returns).

Any settings or other saved information (e.g. game saves and tracked achievements) is confirmed not to persist where reliant on my local machine.

I have uninstalled the Flash player (both NPAPI and PPAPI) and cleaned out all traces of Flash Player from my AppData, then reinstalled the player; this did not solve the issue.

Issue only appears to be happening in NPAPI (firefox). Chrome test of identical application persists information where Firefox does not.

Using latest Firefox version (54) and Flash Player plugins (26.0.0.131).

Have cleared Firefox cache, Flash cache, removed and reinstalled Flash as previously mentioned without solving issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Cause of fault: Directory Junction of Windows User folder

Workarounds to issue: Avoid junctioning User folder; use following steps to direct Windows to use another location without Junction:

• Enter Registry (preferably on alternative account to avoid issues with running context)

• Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\"

• Find the current user's subfolder (look at the ProfileImagePath key to recognise User folder path)

• Alter ProfileImagePath key t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2017 Jun 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please log a bug here Tracker  and share your sample app.

-Vivek

Adobe Flash Runtime Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cause of fault: Directory Junction of Windows User folder

Workarounds to issue: Avoid junctioning User folder; use following steps to direct Windows to use another location without Junction:

• Enter Registry (preferably on alternative account to avoid issues with running context)

• Navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\"

• Find the current user's subfolder (look at the ProfileImagePath key to recognise User folder path)

• Alter ProfileImagePath key to point to Junctioned user folder location

• Remove now unneeded Junction link

• Upon signing back in to affected account, NO Windows errors should be thrown w/r/t User data being missing/corrupt and Flash Cache should work as no junction is present.

Workaround confirmed on Windows 10 64bit; Firefox 54.0; Flash Player 26.0.0.131

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes.  Having a junction in a path to a user folder can lead to arbitrary writes under certain circumstances.  We disabled support a couple years ago, and require that you set a flag to get the legacy behavior.

You can find details here:

Adobe Flash Player Administration Guide for Flash Player | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the information. It would be nice if there was a visible notification of this protection being triggered to better inform unwitting users. We can't be expected to know all the minutia of security updates from years ago.

However, setting that flag does not appear to return correct behaviour in Firefox, even if Protected Mode is disabled for the SWF plugin.

Also you should probably revisit the code:

• Depending where the junction was along the path had occasional instances of allowing the files to write (I think I tested it with only "%UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia" junctioned at one point, which is where the files are written, and it did still write)
  • It is notable that even without MMS.cfg override in the location Chrome uses, files still saved underneath the "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Pepper Data\Shockwave Flash\WritableRoot\" folder despite junction being on %UserProfile% folder itself. Surely this should trigger the "don't write on a junction path" protection.

I feel like asking a user to change their system (regedit to avoid junction) to suit a program is strictly considerable as a workaround, not a solution, despite being what the Administration Guide recommends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines