• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

One more day. How much will you miss Flash?

Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's almost 2021 and that's when Adobe will pull the plug on Flash. I'll miss it, but how about you guys?

TOPICS
Browser , End of life , OS , SWF , Update

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Dec 30, 2020 Dec 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, nevermind Flash or not, the work code will continue to run in another way, wasm with ruffle or waflash for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash was absolutely a treasure to me and there is no reason for that treasure to be lost more than it has already. Infact I say its time for flash to rise again.

So long as sites update and archive their stuff the things we love will live on. They can even include mobile users to their list of users and have a more secure experience. There are people working hard to keep flash alive. The more people know there is hope the better.

There are independent standalone flash players / swf players. Some even work on mobile devices. I say get a good one and save the swf file for offline use and archiving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was told security is why EOL is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plenty of things have been said. Everything from they waste the battery charge to big teck throwing their weight around for their own benefit. Ive personally never had an issue with flash and the work arounds to keep flash alive in the future are said to fix old security issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google, Facebook, Apple, Microsoft and browser makers killed flash.  A few years ago the same thing happened with Silverlight, Java, Quicktime and other browser plugins. Did anybody miss those technologies when they ended?  I didn't.

In fact, I haven't needed Flash Player for more than 2 years.  I uninstalled it when the browsers started blocking plugins for security reasons and never looked back.  The majority of Internet users today probably won't even notice when Flash Player deactivates because they don't need it anymore. 

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well thats fine for those people. Im not so much attached to flash as I am the creations that run on it. Even if the entire world was indifferent to that loss I would never be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you are free to continue to use SWF as it is already supported (not the whole API for now) with WASM which is the already binary standard for all platform and mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can explain to me how to do that like im five I would be grateful. Trying to do lots of archiving right now while also informing sites of alternatives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dont know too much about all this but i was wondering if you are able to tell me if with Flash Player gone will this affect Microsoft Games for PC? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends what you mean. If it is browser-based, then you're doomed. If the game needed to be downloaded and if it requires installation, then chances are the source code for ActionScript is baked-into the game's source code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"will this affect  [effect] Microsoft Games for PC? "

===========

Hello @default9qkhyrbjf6q3,

Rest assured, modern PC games from MS store are not effected by the removal of Flash player.  They use other technologies.

Happy New Year!

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines