• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Our Flash based Products Running after December 2020

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have developed 12 educational products developed in Adobe Flash for helping the Indian masses to learn their mother tognue in ICT way. Each product is is composed of Flash Files .swf and .exe. The application opens on clicking .exe on a machine. The question is whtheter these products can be run even after Dec 2020 or not?

eveloped 12 educational products developed in Adobe Flash for helping Indian masses to learn their mother tongue. The product is composed of Flash files .swf and .exe. The application opens on clicking .exe on any machine.

The question is whether these products can be run even after Dec 2020 or not?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe will stop distributing Flash Player and browser vendors will stop supporting Flash Player (plugins will not work) at the end of December 2020.

Adobe anounced Flash Player's end-of-life in July 2017 - https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/. All supported browser vendors made similar announcements at the same time.  Links to their announcments are included in Adobe's announcement.

Both Google and Mozilla have been transparent in publicizing their Flash road-map for their respective browsers:

If you require assistance migrating your project from Flash to a different technology platform, please contact Adobe's partner, Harman.  See https://services.harman.com/partners/adobe for more information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Maria,

I just one to rephrase my question. Our software runs with executable file .exe which in turn uses .swf files. On any desktop, it runs well without having Flash Player. So will the application still be functional post Dec 2020 or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can test your software on a computer that does not have the Flash plugin installed - if it runs, then you don't need the Flash plugin installed!

If it's simply a projector .exe that's running .swf content, then I think it should be fine without the Flash plugin.
An Adobe AIR .exe may need the Flash plugin, depending on how it's been packaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember Windows 10 cannot be used for this test. Windows 10 includes Flash Player as a system component and it cannot be removed. However after 2020 we expect that Microsoft will remove it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Now we understand that if a projector .exe that's running .swf content, then we do not need Flash plugin compulsory to run our software application. 

But I think we can not customise our existing flash files .fla and test .swf files post 2020. Am I right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Now we understand that if a projector .exe that's running .swf content, then we do not need Flash plugin compulsory to run our software application. " This is a key point. Are you sure that it contains a self contained Flash Player, and are you sure you will have the right to distribute it after the end of the year? I see a lot of looking for loopholes, rather than following Adobe's recommendation to remake projects with alternative technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly discourage you from depending on an unmaintained, unsupported version of the Flash projector as a basis for the continued commercial viability of your products.  A lot of the daily work we do is invisible to end-users, and much of that is ensuring that Flash player continues to run as browsers and operating systems make changes. 

At the point that an change to an operating system breaks the Flash projector (there's no way to accurately predict when that will happen, but it will definitely happen), you'll be stuck.

Adobe AIR was the supported path for creating desktop applications using Flash technology for the better part of the last decade.  AIR is EOL, but continues to be maintained and licensed by HARMAN.  If you absolutely, positively must continue to use Flash technology for your desktop product, a licensed, maintained copy of AIR would give you a reasonable guarantee that the technology your application relies on will continue to be maintained.  

There's a little more on the state of Flash Player EOL, and some information on Harman as it pertains to Flash Player, here: 

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/enterprise-end-of-life.html

I'm sure that representatives from Harman would be happy to talk to you more about your options WRT using and licensing AIR for distribution with your application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2020 May 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Here is the question regarding migration of Flash content to HTML5 with Adobe Animator.

Does Animator support ActionScript2 or not? Or it only supports ActionScript 3? Please guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Will the Adobe Animate help the migration of our Flash product (having ActionScript 2 & ActionScript3) to HTML5?

Please relpy.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With regard to Animate helping to migrate content, you can output animations to both Flash and HTML5 Canvas, but there's no automated way to magically convert complex AS2 and AS3 applications to JavaScript with a couple clicks.  It's non-trivial. 

Our technology partner HARMAN provides a couple options for licensing both Flash Player and AIR.  I imagine that distributing Flash Player to ever school-aged child in India is probably prohibitive, but packaging and distributing your content as an AIR application might make a lot of sense, depending on your constraints. 

I'm sure that someone at HARMAN would be happy to discuss possible long-term solutions with you. 

https://airsdk.harman.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2020 May 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi... Thanks for the detailed explanation. Does it mean the flash player inside flex SDK will not be available? we are using flex SDK 4.6 and it comes with AIR and flash player (https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-builder/release-note/flex-4-6-sdk-release.html) so my question is, can I continue using flex SDK even after Dec, 2020 ? I've SWF file that we use to run on the browser using flash player but now we created a desktop application and running SWF using flex SDK and bundling it as an AIR application. Is this the correct approach?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem. 

Adobe donated the Flex SDK to Apache back in 2011.  It's been EOL for several years.

Adobe AIR and the Adobe AIR SDK were the officially supported method for producing a desktop application from Flash-based technology for the last few years.  AIR has been EOL since June of 2019. 

https://theblog.adobe.com/the-future-of-adobe-air/

Our technology partner HARMAN maintains and distributed current versions of the AIR SDK, and you can license those from HARMAN.  This sounds like the best plan for ensuring that your product remains viable.

I'm sure that representatives from HARMAN would be happy to talk to you about what option makes the most sense moving forward:

https://airsdk.harman.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines