Highlighted

Please STOP bundling McAfee with your Flash Player Update

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us I.T. types for one reason or another have choosen

NOT to use McAfee in place of other (IMO better) products.  The McAfee scan product that you have bundled in

with your flash player updates install and leave files that interfere with the automatic updates for

Kaspersky.  After the Flash Product installes, I am then stuck visiting that machine in person running a special McAfee uninstall utility to remove McAfee even though it does NOT show up in the add/remove programs area of the control panel.  The flash updates do allow you to choose if you want McAfee installed, but unfortionatly, the default is to have that option checked.  For most unsuspecting corporate users, they don't see, care, or understand the impact of leaving that check box checked.  Please stop including that as part of the install.  For us corporate types trying to keep hundreds of computers working smoothly, we certainly don't need the automated headaches that McAfee brings with.

Regards

TOPICS
Download install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Please STOP bundling McAfee with your Flash Player Update

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us I.T. types for one reason or another have choosen

NOT to use McAfee in place of other (IMO better) products.  The McAfee scan product that you have bundled in

with your flash player updates install and leave files that interfere with the automatic updates for

Kaspersky.  After the Flash Product installes, I am then stuck visiting that machine in person running a special McAfee uninstall utility to remove McAfee even though it does NOT show up in the add/remove programs area of the control panel.  The flash updates do allow you to choose if you want McAfee installed, but unfortionatly, the default is to have that option checked.  For most unsuspecting corporate users, they don't see, care, or understand the impact of leaving that check box checked.  Please stop including that as part of the install.  For us corporate types trying to keep hundreds of computers working smoothly, we certainly don't need the automated headaches that McAfee brings with.

Regards

TOPICS
Download install

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 24, 2010 1
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have filed a complaint with the  BBB as well as with a few virus scanning companies labeling the Adobe  Download Manager as malware. (I'm considering filing a complaint with the FTC, but I'm guessing it's not something that's really breaking any law.) Suck it Adobe.

I have also uninstalled the  Adobe Flash Player. HTML5 and Silverlight should do me just fine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 25, 2010 2
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with this. I got yelled at by our IT department becuase of this silly McAfee program that was installed unbeknowst to me. I just completed another update of Flash and low and behold, this program was installed again! I didn't even have to option not to choose it. Unfortunately, I need flash for my job, so I have no choice but to install the update. Please stop doing this! I don't want this software on my computer nor does my IT department.

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2010 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't auto-update flash.   select the flash player version you want to install and manually install it:

http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 08, 2010 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kqlad is right. Any IT professional should know better than to install the auto updating version with the download manager. Also, your users shouldn't have rights to install updates or other programs if they don't know what they're doing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2010 0
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could uninstall Adobe Flash and just use Chrome for work and browsing. Chrome has a built in flash player of their own called Pepper Flash.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 14, 2014 0
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all your responses. I guess this is why I don't work in the IT department Well, I won't be using the auto installer again.

It still seems kind tricky and underhanded to bundle stuff like that. That's just me though.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 09, 2010 1
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Mozilla Firefox just updated itself without asking, and the first message it displays on completion is that I need to update my Flash Player.  I figure Firefox already committed me to the upgrade process, so I might as well see it through. I click the link to upgrade flash, and instead of loading flash, it installs the Adobe Download Manager. If I wanted another program to manage downloads on my computer, one would figure I would have installed it by now.

Committed to the update process, I go ahead and permit the Adobe Download Manager to be installed on my machine. The very first thing it does is installs McAffee Security Center on top of the various other Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware software already existant on my machine. I've been in IT for 25 years and let me assure you, IT DID NOT ASK. There was NO checkbox. There was NO opt out.

After all of Adobe and Adobe related trashware was installed on my machine, it finally installed the flash plugin it could have installed via the Mozilla Plugin interface without all the spam.

I figure Adobe already took the first thirty minutes of my productivity this morning, I might as well give them another 30 by posting this story on their websites, Mozillas, as well as about 10 other high SEO ranked forums.

To Adobe:

Whatever revenue you think you are generating by bundling such crap with your flash plugin, you are losing in bad PR. When the time comes to recommend a client install Corel suite vs Adobe CSX, this event will immediately come to mind. You are alienating your customers. While Flash may be somewhat of an industry standard, alternatives are gaining steam daily. Stop the unscrupulous business practices unless you want people to remove ALL of your software like the malware I just downloaded.

Regards,

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 16, 2010 4
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree.

@Adobe: Stop installing crapware.  You never asked my permission to install it.  You have violated my trust and it will be a long time before you will be forgiven.  I will now take any messages/updates I see from you with a grain of salt, and be very wary when allowing you access past UAC.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 25, 2010 1