Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Press Esc to exit full screen mode.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2011 Nov 03, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe folks,

In case you're not aware, it's a major annoyance and hinderence to usability, for the popup overlay "Press Esc to exit full screen mode" whenever Flash video is maximized.  This affects millions of people every day.  To see the problem, just go to youtube, play a video, click maximize, and try to watch what's going on for the next 4 seconds.

It's quite easy to find countless others who are annoyed: https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pws=0&q=%22press+esc+to+exit+full+screen%22+flash

How about a simple option to disable it?  There's "Settings" and "Global settings"; how about putting an option in there?

I'm an advanced user who has been aware that the escape key exits for the last 20 years.  This stupid overlay blocks the video I'm trying to watch, and lowers my opinion of Adobe as a company.

Sincerely,

fq3wfafsd

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

We considered it, and chose to leave the behavior as-is.  It was carefully designed to address a number of security concerns, and while it sounds like a simple thing to change, it's not when considered in the context of the universe of possible attacks.

In essence, the full-screen prompt exists to prevent a malicious actor from drawing a pixel-perfect simulated browser, for the purpose of phishing.  If you can draw on the whole screen, you can draw a convincing browser lock icon (which is what te

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2011 Nov 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe, please address this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2011 Nov 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind opening a new "bug" (really a feature request) on this over at bugbase.adobe.com?  I see the reason to have it, but I agree with you, once you know how to get out of full screen there isn't much point in having to be reminded every time.  Maybe this could be added as an option in the settings panel/dialog.

Once you've added the bug, please post back with the URL so that others can cast their votes and add comments.

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another related problem.  With the latest Flash Player version, when I go to full-screen, the screen goes black for 1 full second (along with the annoying overlay).  And when leaving full-screen, I'm instantly back to my browser but video is frozen for a moment.

Yet, with the hacked version 10.1 which removes the overlay, there's also zero lag when switching between full-screen.

I posted this here: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3059744

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it never considered to be included as a change? That full screen prompt still continues to annoy to this day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We considered it, and chose to leave the behavior as-is.  It was carefully designed to address a number of security concerns, and while it sounds like a simple thing to change, it's not when considered in the context of the universe of possible attacks.

In essence, the full-screen prompt exists to prevent a malicious actor from drawing a pixel-perfect simulated browser, for the purpose of phishing.  If you can draw on the whole screen, you can draw a convincing browser lock icon (which is what tells you that you're talking to the server that you think you're talking to, like your bank).

This important mitigation is not going away.  The web is a hostile place, and security necessarily outweighs convenience in that context.   I know that we've similarly considered a "remember" checkbox, but also found that infeasible because of how things work in practice.

If you're developing content and want a fluid full-screen approach, a desktop application build with Adobe AIR would allow you to migrate that content to a desktop application, where this kind of phishing attempt is a non-issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reconsidered this? If so how can I remove this message? I run into this daily and it is very annoying.

Even if you decide to keep it how about an option for the size, location and duration of the message. This would seem to be an even more secure alternative in that expected behavior (my settings) are somewhat unique and would be hard to replicate for a phishing scheme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see why for security reasons you want to make sure that the warning is not off by default, but why not include it an option in a menu somewhere, where you can configure your own settings (such as disabling this fullscreen message)? I mean, as a consumer, I want to be able to make my own choices about security. If I want to allow myself to (for my own convenience) be able to do something that lowers the security of my own computer, why not allow me to do that? Why should you as developers decide for me, what I am allowed or not allowed to do with software on my own computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly, as is the case with this issue and Acrobat's UI, Adobe is too incompetant/arrogant/stupid to prioritize user experience.  And YouTube scrapped Flash for HTML5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should prioritise user experience over security? And let people turn it off because they think they are smarter than hackers? I wonder how long it would have taken malware authors to fake up a bank page and deliver it with full screen Flash.... Anyway nothing's going to change now, with a Flash having 4 months to live....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to lock this thread from 2011.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines