Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Questions on the end of support for FlashPlayer

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

One of my company's apps is currently using FlashPlayer and I heard that the FlashPlayer is approaching to the end of support.
there are some questios below on the end of support for FlashPlayer so that I can implement an appropariate countermeasure.
(I asked same questions to Adobe HelpDesk in Japan, they advised me to contact you.)

1. "Adobe Flash Player End of support information page for corporate customers" says
"Prompt user to uninstall FlashPlayer from later this year".
Would it be possible to tell me when that message to user will be appeared? what month? what day?
If the exact timing is not decided yet for now, would you please tell me when you will decide?

Here is the link:
   https://www.adobe.com/jp/products/flashplayer/enterprise-end-of-life.html

2. Is that prompt message appeared from which Flash Player version ?
Also, please tell me which version can use the whitelist function not to display the prompt message.
It would be helpful if you could teach me in the form of xx.x.x.xxx

The above page says that the whitelist function can be used from the release version in February 2020.
Does it mean that the prompt message will also be apparred from the February release version?
On the other hand, the Flash Player Administrator Guide (32th Edition) says released the whitelist function
can be used from the June 2020 version?
Which statement is correct?

<Administrator guide>
 https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide/pdf/l...
  28th page

3. Please let me know how that prompt message is appeared.
 1) When we open the Flash usage site at the first time since that prompt function is available(while the browser is open, it is not displayed thereafter)
 2) Every time we open the Flash usage site
 3) Other

Please let me know if my questions are unclear to you then I would try to inform you in different phrases.
Thank you very much for your support in advacne.

Thank you.

TOPICS
End of life , FAQ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should know that Flash Player will be blocked in all the major browsers at the end of the year. You cannot use a whitelist in Flash Player to keep them working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the official end-of-life announcement.  It links to each of the roadmaps published by the major US browser developers.  In addition to our changes to Flash Player, each browser developer is removing support for browser plug-ins, and planning to add various in-product messages about Flash going away.  Their timelines are independent.  These may be important additional considerations, depending on your organization and the browsers you use.   

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

Flash Player releases monthly, in coordination with Microsoft Patch Tuesday.  The dates that we documented were "The latter half of 2020", which is basically now.  We won't have exact version numbers for a given monthly release until we're done testing, and since we release monthly, there's a very narrow window between when testing is complete and when it ships.  We follow a reasonably predictable pattern.  You can see the update history in the release notes: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/flash-player-releasenotes.html 

If you wish to suppress the prompts for your organization, the necessary mms.cfg flags are documented in the administrator's guide (in the English version, we've added the relevant information to the beginning of Chapter 5, Enterprise Enablement).

I believe that you are conflating a couple different things: 

The Enteprise Enablement Allow List / Whitelist feature allows an organization to restrict Flash Player's behavior to only load content from domains that you approve.  This feature reduces your potential attack surface (i.e. things like Flash-based ads and games would no longer load on your enteprise machines).  In a situation where you absolutely must run a version of Flash Player beyond the period of time when it will receive security updates, we're effectively forcing the administrator to restrict it to only your trusted, critical content. That feature works now, so you can limit Flash Player's attack surface at any time between now and the end of the year, at which point must have a defined policy if you want Flash to load anything.  We've also provided convenience features like AllowListPreview to help you identify the content that must be allowed on your network and only allow what is absolutely necessary.

The Uninstall Prompt is a separate issue, and it can be suppressed by setting EOLUninstallDisable=1 in mms.cfg.  You can also specify that now in your mms.cfg, and at the point that the notification goes live, it should be suppressed for your managed machines.

We also provide the ability for enterprise administrators to control when their clients get automatic updates by allowing you to disable automatic updates from Adobe.  You can then provide them to users after you test, through common software management solutions, or by hosting your own Flash Player update server.  See "Background Updates from an internal server" (and the Player Installation chapter in general) for more information on your options.

Again, your users will probably also see some prompts from the browser vendors in various infobars and notifications (these would be documented in the browser partners' blog posts), and any options relevant to suppressing those notifications would had to be dealt through the administrative controls for each individual browser.

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Test Screen Name,jeromiec83223024 

Thank you for your reply. We will consider it as a reference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines