• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Application Initialization Error"

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2018 Feb 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows XP. I have tried now for probably over a year to update Adobe Flash Player. I am reminded almost every time I turn on the computer. And every time I try to update I get this message, "Application Initialization Error" and the only thing I can do it click the "Finish" button. And now, per the instructions of so-called 'experts' at a website I visit, I un-installed the version that was on my computer and, as a result, i don't have Flash Player installed and it cannot be installed. I use both Chrome and Firefox as browsers.

Is there something that can be done to install Flash Player on my computer? Or am I totally out of luck?

Thank you for your help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll need to review the installation log files to troubleshoot the 'Application Initialization Error'.  Please provide the following files:

• To ensure the files being requested are for the same installation attempt, please first go through the process of installing Flash Player again.  When the 'Application Initialization Error' returns, close out of the installer dialog window.
  • Obtain the FlashInstall file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash (this file may be named FlashInstall.log or FlashInstall32.log - provide the most recent one)
  • Obtain the Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files saved at C:\Documents and Settings\<YourUserID>\Local Settings\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs
  • Upload all files to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud
  • Post the link to the uploaded files in your reply

Please note that Chrome no longer supports Windows XP (and Vista).  The last supported version is Chrome 49.  Google also embeds Flash Player in Chrome and Chrome 49 ONLY loads the version of Flash Player that is in the embedded location (newer versions of Chrome load the Flash Player from either the embedded location or the system install location, whichever is newer will be loaded).  Chrome 49 is NOT aware of the non-embedded version (the version you are attempting to install).  If you install Flash Player PPAPI for Chrome, Chrome 49 will not load this version, as it is not aware of this location, and it will continue to load the embedded version.  There is an unsupported way around this.  See the correct answer here How to Install Flash in Vista w/ Chrome Browser?? .

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for replying maria. i am at work right now and won't be home until later tonite (~ 9pm) . I will do as you instructed as soon as I can take the necessary time. So if you don't hear from me for a day or two, please don't think I've ignored your help. Trust me, I have not. I do want to solve this, if it can be done. Again, much thanks.

Best regards,

Bob Berger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, Bob.  Reply when you have the time.  I'll receive an email notification whenever you post the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria. I tried to follow your instructions and I have run into the following problems which prevent me from doing so:

1. I could not locate the FlashInstall file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.

So what I did is that I searched for it and it appeared. But it wasn't in the C Drive and I have no idea where it is in my computer! The problem is that when I went to add that file to https://cloud.acrobat.com/send, a window opened with the C Drive showing and, as I said, the file wasn't there. and so I couldn't add it to the adobe window. Other than appearing in the search window after a search I cannot locate this file anywhere.

2. The Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files are not located in the Documents and Settings folder on my C Drive. I then enabled the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" function but when I went to my Documents and Setting folder in the C Drive, no hidden files/folders appeared.

And so I at a loss for how to get you the information you need. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2018 Feb 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria. I tried to follow your instructions and I have run into the following problems which prevent me from doing so:

1. I could not locate the FlashInstall file saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash.

So what I did is that I searched for it and it appeared. But it wasn't in the C Drive and I have no idea where it is in my computer! The problem is that when I went to add that file to https://cloud.acrobat.com/send, a window opened with the C Drive showing and, as I said, the file wasn't there. and so I couldn't add it to the adobe window. Other than appearing in the search window after a search I cannot locate this file anywhere.

2. The Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files are not located in the Documents and Settings folder on my C Drive. I then enabled the "Show Hidden Files and Folders" function but when I went to my Documents and Setting folder in the C Drive, no hidden files/folders appeared.

And so I at a loss for how to get you the information you need. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2018 Feb 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you going to respond? Would appreciate some sort of answer here, good, bad or indifferent. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I missed the email notification for your reply.

What Service Pack version do you have installed in your XP system?

I'm not sure what to tell you as far as the files 'not being there'.  The Adobe_ADM.log and Adobe_GDE.log files are created as soon as the online installer is launched.  They should be in the TEMP directory.

The online/shim installer downloads and installs Flash Player silently in the background.  As soon as this installation starts the FlashInstall32.log file is created.

For uploading files to cloud.acrobat.com/send, you can just drag and drop the file onto the page, as indicated.

Please try the offline installer posted at the bottom of the Installation problems | Flash Player | Windows 7 and earlier page, in the 'Still having problems' section.

I'd be great if you could provide the files so that we can attempt to troubleshoot the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines