I purchased a logitech bcc950 and tested it in the US on a new computer (windows 10, latest flash, latest google chrome). worked fine, broadcast in both audio and video. couldn't have been more pleased with the results. took both to europe and now the microphone isn't being recognized by the broadcast platforms. camera still captures video through camera app on windows 10. mic still picking up sound in windows 10, but problem seems to be flash in browsers. getting "no microphone detected" message in browser, BUT when i open flash settings, and select the microphone, I CAN HEAR THE AUDIO and SEE the meter bar registering the audio. so the hardware is working normally and testing fine, but it appears that there is some sort of issue with flash acknowledging the microphone in the browser broadcast platform. same problem over multiple browsers (google chrome, microsoft edge, opera, mozilla firefox). TO REITERATE, even in flash settings, i can select the microphone AND hear the audio, but the browser broadcast platforms say "no microphone detected". anyone have experience or workarounds regarding this?
I see some evidence that this camera is getting used successfully with Flash Player.
It sounds like you just need to make sure that you have the right input devices (mic and camera) selected in Flash Player's settings UI.
On the website you're trying to broadcast from, right-click on the Flash content and choose Settings. Make sure the appropriate camera and microphones are selected. The video tab should give you a preview of the video.
If you're not able to see those items listed, or you see the camera as an option but don't get a preview screen, that would be good to know.
Hi Jerome and thanks for taking a moment to reply.
YES, as I said in the original blurb, I tested all the hardware in the USA and it worked like aces.
also in the original blurb, ALL of the devices are selected in the flash settings. I see the video preview. I hear the audio. WITHIN SETTINGS. but as soon as you click "close" and go back to the browser platform, the little grey square error block appears with the text inside "no microphone selected".
so to summarize YES, settings changed.
YES, cam and mic (bcc950) selected in settings UI.
YES, video preview visible and audio captured from bcc950 WITHIN SETTINGS UI
but as soon as you leave the flash settings UI, the video preview remains, but NO audio due to "no microphone selected".
Hoping to find someone has encountered this bizarre, annoying glitch and has a workaround!
Cool. So, you've confirmed that the Camera and Mic definitely work in Flash Player. If you're seeing them in the control panel, they're available in ActionScript. There's no reason for why the Microphone API would stop enumerating the selected Microphone just because you changed geographic locations. That doesn't make any sense.
Following that logic, you have to conclude that something's going on in the application logic of the video streaming service.
The only thing that seems super likely to change as a result of the new geography is your network connectivity. If you installed new security software, ad blockers, etc. while you were getting ready for your trip, that might be interesting to look at, too.
That error message you're seeing is thrown from their application logic -- it's not an error from Flash Player or ActionScript. I'm thinking that *something* is failing. They're throwing an error message. I'm thinking that the error message doesn't accurately describe the problem (they're landing at the failure condition for a different reason than they expect). This isn't shocking. People generally don't test their error handling well. It's more important to test the things that need to work when the software is operating normally, so that gets priority.
If I had to guess, I'm thinking that the streaming app is trying to connect on a particular set of ports that are different from normal web traffic, and the VPN or network connection you're using doesn't allow you to connect to them. If you're not using a VPN, you might actually try connecting via VPN to an endpoint in the US to see if things magically start working. That would let you tunnel around any local network limitations.
In this instance, the application developer is going to be in a better position to debug this. We know that the camera and microphone are fundamentally working. I'm curious about what's going on, but without insight into how their application actually works, I can't tell you anything more (except that you probably can't fix it from your end).