• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file".

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a clean new install of adobe flashplayer. I have downloaded the uninstaller, run it, then went into C - Windows - System 32 - and wanted to deleted any remaining files - but I can't. It says "you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file". This is my computer. Nobody else works on it

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

The screenshots you posted are the version of Flash Player that Microsoft bundled with Windows 10.  Microsoft controls those folders.  We can't write or delete in those locations.  This is an intentional design choice on Microsoft's part.

The only way that you can remove those files is to run the appropriate update.  Microsoft will eventually make this patch mandatory, but right now, it's optional and can be manually applied.

Microsoft Update for Removal of Flash Player for IE and Edge on Wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. I have waited 2 1/2 hours for any kind of reply. Nada....

Thus, I have deleted the more detailed descriptions and am heading to  the local computer geek.

Sadly, my world has move a lot quicker, than it does in this forum. I don't even want to bother anybody. I am trying to be considerate! Have a wonderful day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This error is because you're attempting to delete the Flash Player files for the IE/Edge embedded Flash Player.  As of Windows 8.x Microsoft embeds Flash Player in IE/Edge and those files are locked by Microsoft, which is why you're getting this error attempting to delete them.

Microsoft has released an update, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577586/update-for-removal-of-adobe-flash-player, to remove the IE/Edge embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control.  If you encounter issues running this upate, please contact Microsoft for assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for the reply _maria_

it is a pity that now it is such a hassle to find out what version to use there.
also is not an incripted page.

i go look into it, but is going to take time.(i really think this shouldn't take up my time tho)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft will eventually add this update to their Windows Update, if they haven't done so already.

See  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/04/update-adobe-flash-end-support/ for more information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the quick reply, i appreciat that.

the previous microsoft support didn't work tho.

and the extention still cannot be deleted, what concerns me to be frank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please ensure you have downloaded the correct file for your Windows version.  When you go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website (linked to from https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/update-for-the-removal-of-adobe-flash-player-october-27-20...) to download the actual update there are 38 files for the different Windows and Windows Server versions available, including architecture.

If you've downloaded the correct file for your system and it doesn't work, please contact Microsoft for assistance.  Be sure to tell them you are contacting them about the browser embedded version of Flash Player and running their update.  I've seen too many instances of their support people telling folks to come back to Adobe for help with their browser-embedded Flash Player and update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you for your reply _maria_

i also got an reply from jeromiec83223024, and am responting to both of you down there.

greetings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not offer technical support for products that it gives away for free, like Flash Player.  These user-to-user forums are provided as a courtesy, and the folks that actually work on the product team are here on voluntary basis, in our spare time. 

Flash Player was discontinued a couple weeks ago. 

See the original announcement from 2017, below: 

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

We strongly recommend that you uninstall at this point and find other content that doesn't require Flash Player.  Future updates to all of the major browsers will drop support for browser plug-ins across the board (Safari and Chrome already have), so regardless of whether or not you have Flash Player installed, future browser updates are going to render it useless.  It's time to move on.

For convenience, I've linked the uninstallers here: 

Uninstall Flash Player - Windows:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Microsoft Update for Removal of the ActiveX Flash Player on Windows 8 and higher

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577586/update-for-removal-of-adobe-flash-player 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jeromiec83223024

Thank you very much for your time and help.

I do however disagree with the idea that forums are provided as a courtesy. I think it is great you like to help me voluntary, thank you for that.

But I am sure “giving flash for free” did Adobe actually very good. It gave a massive advantage in the market of web and game development. I am not even talking about the software sale.

i will try to check your steps when i got some time and feel fit for it.

hopefully it will help.

thank you for the support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are definitely a for-profit company, with a fiduciary obligation to generate shareholder value.  

If you were paying for Creative Cloud, you'd have access to a dedicated and well-trained support team for issues related to those specific paid products.

The upside of this model is that you're pretty likely to get support from people with deep expertise (we've been trying to do right by the community and respond to all of the posts here, particularly during this transition).  My point was that you're unlikely to get real-time support here, but you're pretty likely to get a high quality answer in a reasonable period of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes i was in a chat from support, but it took a while and the connection got lost. That was a pity, because that one was of great help. but they already explained i should go to the forum, so here i am.

It is nice to get help here too, but i was a bit baffled to learn it is from volunteers.

I did read the responses i got, and i have to say that i already followed those steps.
I run the uninstaller, but the folder in system32\macromed\flash cannot get deleted. (mentioned the https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html )

This is why i got into screenshare with adobe support...

I also found the correct update from the microsoft site and run it succesfully. But still no deletion of the extention.

I suspect that is because i renamed the folder. Adobe support thought that could help to delete, but it didn't. And maybe the microsoft update now skipped that because it couldn't be found??

Anyway running it a again doesn't work either, because it is somehow marked as done.

Now i cannot delete the folder because it is owned by TrusdedInstaller, and i can also not change the rights. I even tried creating a new administrator account and to it from there (while being logged out my own account) but this didn't do the trick.

The support aready tried changing of checked ownerships of the parent folders and the harddrive.

To be frank i am not sure how that work on Windows, and also it is very time consuming.

On the other hand i might learn something from this, so am willing to give it a go.

thank you both for the quick replies, but the problem is not solved yet.

i hope i did describe my issue clearly, I would appreciate if someone could look further into this when the time is there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in case you want to know,... i did a lot of restarts of my computer after taking each step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still didn't get any help from suport.

Can nobody tell me where to go with this issue? I have have an email stating the topic is still open, but there is no way to mail.
I keep going in circles and circles.

Also this thread is being ignored until now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I also found the correct update from the microsoft site and run it succesfully. But still no deletion of the extention.

I suspect that is because i renamed the folder. Adobe support thought that could help to delete, but it didn't. And maybe the microsoft update now skipped that because it couldn't be found??

Anyway running it a again doesn't work either, because it is somehow marked as done."

Unfortunately, we (Adobe) cannot assist with Microsfot update issues.  The update is from Microsoft, not Adobe.  Please contact Microsoft for assistance with their update.

I'm really surprised Adobe support would assist as Adobe doesn't provide support assistance for free products, including Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Maria said, if you're attempting to remove the ActiveX Flash Player on Windows 8 and higher, that version is distributed directly by Microsoft.  We don't have the ability to modify those locations, which is why we don't produce installers or uninstallers for those locations.

I'm surprised that you were able to rename the folder.  You should have been limited by the same permission restrictions that you're encountering when you attempt to delete it.  If you set a system restore point before you started modifying system files, you could revert to that point.  That's probably the easiest path, but since it's typically disabled by default, unless you went through the work of doing this in advance, it's not going to help (but worth knowing about for future reference). 

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-system-restore-windows-10

Regardless, if we're understanding correctly and that's what happened, you're basically stuck trying to coax Windows into restoring those folders back to an expected state so that you can remove them with the appropriate patch.  I *am* a little concerned that we're not communicating clearly, and this would be a great place to include some screenshots and/or more specifics on the files and folders we're talking about.

You can try running the Windows System File Checker from an elevated command prompt:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt-2618088

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corr...

If you're lucky, it will fix it.

If not, what I've found is that removing the last Flash Player update applied by Windows Update, rebooting, and then reinstalling the update via Windows Update (since you're not trying to get back to a working Flash Player, you might be able to skip that step -- you should just be reverted to an older Flash Player at this point) might get you to a place where you can apply the Flash Player Removal patch from Microsoft successfully. 

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/how-to-uninstall-windows-10-updates-manually/

There is a theoretically non-destructive "refresh the operating system" option, but you'd be wise to make sure you had appropriate, working backups first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/how-to-refresh-reset-or-restore-your-pc-51391d9a-eb0a-84...

If that doesn't help, you're probably going to have to open a support case with Microsoft.  They distribute the ActiveX Flash Player that's built into Windows 10, and are the only ones with control over the relevant installation directories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thank you for you time to reply

I have to admit that i am not that experienced with Windows, i started out with Mac.

With system restore i am afraid i will lose important information. I have done that once, but i was a lot more desperate than i am now. It might be a lot easier than i think  🙂

I think it is really cool you just wrote this reply, so i will try to find out what this is all about, also i want to understand it when i take action

Here are the screenshots, it shows the prompt i get when i try to delete the folder.
The other one shows that everything is "gray" when i try to edit the permissions for TrustedInstaller.

I got the idea Windows is notorious with locking files and messing with permissions, aswell for keeping system management complicated. I am also a bit stubborn thinking Adobe gets away to easily from the whole issue and should take some more responsibly.

I am tempted to wait for a Microsoft update and hope that will end the flash player nightmare.

deleteprompt.pngchangepermissions.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the last screenshot "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" was selected.
but also when i selcet TrustedInstaller the can not edit the permissionsUntitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot delete these folders. This is deliberate. Only the Microsoft patch can remove them. Warning: the Microsoft patch  also makes absolutely sure you can NEVER put Flash back. This does not prepare for reinstalling, it prepares for no Flash ever again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe help tells you to check if this folder is deleted, if not to do it yourself.

you can read it here: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

I would never have looked there if this was not on that page. But now it seems impossible and suddenly doing taxes is less time consuming, easier and more fun!

And all help beyond this is now courtesy.

If nothing if possible from Adobe's side, than update this help page because now it has just been a huge waste of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If nothing if possible from Adobe's side, than update this help page because now it has just been a huge waste of time."

There is a message in red font at the top of https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html that clearly states the instructions do NOT apply to Windows 8 and above because on Windows 8 and above Microsot embeds Flash Player in IE/Edge resulting in the plugin being controlled by Microsfot, not Adobe.

How can the message be modified so it's clearer than it currently is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi _maria_

i am sorry, i didn't understand this. Why does't everybody than keep ansering and sharing this page, if it is for outdated systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't outdated.  It applies to folks who have Windows 7, which was a supported OS version.

Adobe's uninstallers have never removed browse-embedded Flash Player (PPAPI in Google Chrome and ActiveX in IE/EDGE).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also...

when i do a search at the adobe site for "uninstall flash player windows 10" than the result is this exact same page, what now you say is not for windows 10.

it also includes some other results what are not what i am looking for.

On this page is howere a link to another pages for enabling/disabling flashplayer (text is :  Please visit the Flash Player Help page for instructions on enabling (or disabling) Flash Player in various browsers.)

But on that page i do not find any help in removing flashplayer.

Maybe when i fallow those links it will retuns something helpful, but seems like a strech for me.

Especially when i get the link to the above menitoned page from people in the community, i got it in the chat and i got it in several emails.

So pardon me for thinking that here are the steps i have to take. and for fallowing these steps.

Maybe somewhere someone did post a good link, but i think now, because i did end up at the same page over and over again.

Than what went wrong???

I am really starting to doubt myself now, so i opened an email to check it and it was like i just typed down.

I can open the chat with the agent and see what got posted and i am pretty sure it will be the same page.

There was no indication that i was on windows 8, nor ever someone asked for it.

I am sorry, but this is why i keep posting. I really got the idea that some people (not you, not Jeromiec83223024) but some people didn't read my text, what i carefully wrote down. My english might not be perfect, but i know very well how to express myself and i took time to carefully write it down what the issue was.
And the i get the same answer over and over again. Also the link to the same page over and over again.

I am not even going to mention how rude one chat agent was, because i know that most people try their best and probably get tired or reading a lot of complaints.

So all that is okay with me. But why do i  keep getting links to this help page if it doesn't apply to me?

And why can't i find a help page for windows 10?

Seriously i don't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines