• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file".

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2015 Jul 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to make a clean new install of adobe flashplayer. I have downloaded the uninstaller, run it, then went into C - Windows - System 32 - and wanted to deleted any remaining files - but I can't. It says "you require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file". This is my computer. Nobody else works on it

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

The screenshots you posted are the version of Flash Player that Microsoft bundled with Windows 10.  Microsoft controls those folders.  We can't write or delete in those locations.  This is an intentional design choice on Microsoft's part.

The only way that you can remove those files is to run the appropriate update.  Microsoft will eventually make this patch mandatory, but right now, it's optional and can be manually applied.

Microsoft Update for Removal of Flash Player for IE and Edge on Wi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to include replies to your 3 most recent posts in this reply

"So all that is okay with me. But why do i keep getting links to this help page if it doesn't apply to me?"

I don't work on the team handling search in the adobe.com site.  Usually search engines take all words in a search and return anything those words in it.  If you're searching for 'Flash Player uninstaller windows 10' without quotes it's most like going to return everything that contains those terms, which appears to be what's happening.

"And why can't i find a help page for windows 10?"

Because one doesn't exist.  As stated many times, Flash Player ActiveX is embedded in IE/Edge on Windows 8 and above, which includes Windows 10, and is managed by Microsoft, not Adobe.

""Adobe's uninstaller will NOT, and have never, remove the browser-embedded Flash Player files - those are owned by the browser."

browser-embedded is what flash player is all about."

Browser-embedded means the browser vendor includes Flash Player in the browser and managed by the browser vendor.  (e.g. Google Chrome and Micrsoft IE/Edge on Windows 8 and above).  It doesn't refer to the Flash Player manually installed by the end-user.  This has been the terminology used consistently on these forums since both Google and Microsoft started including (embedding) Flash Player in their respective browers.

The Flash Player ActiveX files C:/Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash and C:/Windows/SysWOW64/Macromed/Flash that do not have a version number in the file name are the Flash Player files embedded in IE/Edge by Microsoft.  On my 64-bit Windows 10 (screenshot attached) there are a total of 10 files that are part of the IE/Edge embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control and owned by Microsoft, not Adobe.  The file permissions on these files are locked so the end-user cannot delete them.

microsoft-embedded-flash-files.PNG

In addition to these files there are also 2 files for the Flash Player Settings Manager (Control Panel > Flash Player Settings) that are also owned by Microsoft as they are part of the embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control.  These are FlashPlayerApp.exe and FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl saved in C:\Windows\SysWOW64.

This is a total of 12 files that are managed by Microsoft on Windows 8 and above, that are not removed using Adobe's uninstaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is not a real uninstal. Just some tweaks to make thing dormant. And you keep a lot of trash left on the computer after running it.

This could have mentioned right away and saved a lot of time.

But has turned in a long sour thread with a lot of finger pointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And you keep a lot of trash left on the computer after running it."

I don't know what you're referring to here.

If it's the files I mentioned in my most recent reply, those are owned by Microsoft, not Adobe.  The advice given on these forums is that Microsoft-owned files should be removed by Microsoft after running their update to remove the IE/Edge embeded Flash Player ActiveX Control.  If not, contact Microsoft.  This has been consistently stated many times on these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

show a little dignity instead of being a broken record.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The screenshots you posted are the version of Flash Player that Microsoft bundled with Windows 10.  Microsoft controls those folders.  We can't write or delete in those locations.  This is an intentional design choice on Microsoft's part.

The only way that you can remove those files is to run the appropriate update.  Microsoft will eventually make this patch mandatory, but right now, it's optional and can be manually applied.

Microsoft Update for Removal of Flash Player for IE and Edge on Windows 8 and higher

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577586/update-for-removal-of-adobe-flash-player 

Again, there's no dodge here.   This is Microsoft's distribution of Flash Player, and they've locked the permissions down so that they're the only ones that can modify those locations on the filesystem.  There's no clever workaround to offer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that is clear language that everybody can understand.
Looks like something got learned after all. Now why not use this in help emails instead of the link to that old page what i kept getting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Now that is clear language that everybody can understand. Looks like something got learned after all. Now why not use this in help emails instead of the link to that old page what i kept getting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything actually *in* the Flash folder?  I'm way more interested in the contents than the fact that this folder exists.  The folder doesn't actually do anything.

Also, have you rebooted since you ran Microsoft's Flash Player Removal Patch?  It's possible that it will clean up the cruft at shutdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jeromiec83223024 
Yes there are some files in it, one is an actual application. I share a screenshot.
I thought it was an old version of Flash Google Chrome reverted to. But i don't know how to be sure.
When search for "Flash" on the C volume of my computer, it returns exactly 100 items.
That includes 16 folders, 13 .exe files and a lot of other documents.
Only one result is mine, that is "Atomic Flash Deluxe" from Nina Hagen. What is actually made me smile.

Yes i rebooted several times.  I didn't really take action the last 2 days, i just posted here.
Maybe i contact Microsoft later, but i didn't really have time for it.
contentflashfolder.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash files in the /Macromed/Flash directory are the IE/Edge browser-embedded files.  This is denoted by the fact that the version number is not included in the file name.

Adobe's uninstaller will NOT, and have never, remove the browser-embedded Flash Player files - those are owned by the browser.  Microsoft's update to remove Flash Player should remove these files.  If it doesn't, you'd need to contact Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Adobe's uninstaller will NOT, and have never, remove the browser-embedded Flash Player files - those are owned by the browser."

browser-embedded is what flash player is all about.

i am pretty sure that no matter how long we go on about it, there will be a lot of tricks up your sleeve.

Why is it so hard to understand that the uninstall for flashplayer just doesn't do the tric?

I am left with 100 flash related search results on my disc.

i am tired of all posting because you will keep pointing your finger to Microsoft and to me.

Get over it, Flash Player is dead, and so is the monopoly.

It seems like you are just gloating now over my attempt from trying to clean my computer.

I really lost trust of this company. Its an outrage

Goodday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my final word,  because _maria_ thinks that it is about this help pages

IT IS NOT ABOUT THE HELP PAGE.

it is the fact that THERE IS NO HELP PAGE and there is no real uninstall if there are 13 flash applications left on my disc.

No matter who should solve this problem, there is NO UNINSTAL

and this all is a huge waste of time.

I am really furious right now that _maria_ is showing up with fingerpointing tricks.

I have wasted my time posting here, because i thought there would be at least some honesty here.

But this is turning into an ordinary cyber argument, what i am not going for.

I hope that at least some users will read my posts and realise that the uninstall will probably leave a lot of flash applications on their disc, what can potentionally be a risk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to your Start Menu, down to Windows System, then down to run, and type in C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash.  you will see the EXE file you need to highlight, and click Run!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines