• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Recommend convectors from Flash Player to Javascript or other modern engine

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good afternoon, I have a client who has an old program written in Flash Player and wants to implement it on his new project. I explained to him that it would be expensive, to which he replied that he did not mind that the program would be remade with something automatically in order to understand its approximate usefulness at the moment, and after the tests he will make a final decision worth spending a lot of money on such a rework.
Here is an example of a site where he wants to embed it (there is another ID code that may conflict) and here I found branch about HTML5 https://community.adobe.com/t5/flash-player/is-there-a-replacement-player-for-the-flash-player/td-p/...

[external link removed by mod]

Proposing a solution seems to me time consuming and there is a feeling that there is an easier way, perhaps someone has come across this and will be able to suggest the correct way of solving.
thanks

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Yeah, the link fell victim to one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" problems. 

The forums get spammed heavily with people asking non-questions as an excuse to post a link back to their stuff for free advertising / better SEO rankings.   We just wholesale remove links at this point to dissuade that behavior and keep the forums useful as a resource.

Anyway, there are a number of specialty vendors that popped up over the last couple years specifically to address the need to port

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no magic converter. The task must be done again. It may often be time consuming.

(As you probably know, but I should point out for the benefit of other people who read the post, no page was ever "written in Flash Player". This is just how it is delivered. The usual tool for creating Flash-based pages was the apps variously called Macromedia Flash, Adobe Flash, and Adobe Animate.) Your client has left this very late; there was three years notice given.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed answer, it will help me in the dialogue with the client, all the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My observation from forum discussions over the years has been that many clients don't have access to the original source files for the Flash-based project that they want to update/convert.  It's possible to decompile SWFs, but that adds a whole other level of complexity, and the derived source may not be all that great.  Understanding what the client has to start from is important.

If the project is a simple animation that's not interactive and the client has the source files from Adobe Animate / Flash Professional, it might be a straighforward matter of saving it out to HTML Canvas, which Adobe Animate can do. 

If the project has complex interaction defined through ActionScript, then there's no simple one-click conversion.  You might be able to save out graphical assets and see the underlying logic, but you'd need to recreate that interactivity in JavaScript. 

If the project is based on Adobe Flex and written in MXML (e.g. old-school Rich Internet Applications from the mid-2000s), it might be possible to transpile them using something like Apache Royale, but again, you'd need all the source from the project (and you'd probably want an expert to help).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason, the moderator deleted the link, here you can see that the site belongs to the gamling and unfortunately the logic and the level of complexity is really high, but as far as the client says he has all the source code, and from your words it seems to me that I understand where I am look for a more accurate solution.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, the link fell victim to one of those "this is why we can't have nice things" problems. 

The forums get spammed heavily with people asking non-questions as an excuse to post a link back to their stuff for free advertising / better SEO rankings.   We just wholesale remove links at this point to dissuade that behavior and keep the forums useful as a resource.

Anyway, there are a number of specialty vendors that popped up over the last couple years specifically to address the need to port Flash games into something that will work long-term.  Most of those vendors are contract development shops doing clones of existing games with other technologies.  I've seen a couple that claim to have some secret sauce that allow them to do this quick and cheap.  I can't really recommend anyone specifically for a number of reasons, but some well-crafted Google searches should give you the lay of the land.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2020 Oct 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for your time, I will try to find what you are talking about. I will choose you answer as correct.

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines