Exit

Shockwave Flash not working in XP

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System

Windows XP Pro - SP3 with Firefox 45.9.0 esr

When I "upgraded" to Shockwave Flash 25.0.0.171 Flash stopped working. I don't remember what version was working before the "up grade".

Tried upgrading to FireFox 52.1.2 esr to see if that would fix the problem. Nope 😞 Also tried un-installing and re-installing Flash, no joy.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player 25.0.0.171 has been out for 3 weeks and this is the first report of it not working on XP SP3 (still widely used).  I don't have access to an XP system today, but will have access tomorrow. I will investigate further and reply back.

In the interim, please upload the FlashInstall.log file,saved at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post the link to the uploaded file(s) in your reply.  If this is a 64-bit OS, the FlashInstall.log file saved at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash is also required.

<edit>

Also, what does "Flash stopped working" mean?  Please describe the exact behaviour observed, and include direct link to content exhibiting the behaviour.

Thank you.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows XP SP3 with Firefox 52.1.2 (most recent version) and Flash Player 25.0.0.171:

Flash content displayed as expected. Tested the following sites:

Please provide the previously requested information in order for us to research further.

<edit: had wrong Firefox version, corrected it to 52.1.2>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem.  It only began about 4 days ago.  Nothing requiring Flash works in Firefox on my PC.  Flash works with other browsers.  I also have Windows XP SP3 and my Firefox is Firefox ESR 52.1.2 (32-bit).  I have done the complete Flash uninstall (including deleting all files in flash folders) and reinstall.  When trying to open a video in Facebook I receive a message "something went wrong.  "We're having trouble displaying this video".    This same video worked fine on 6/4.  I get the same message with all videos.  Other websites that require flash for some content are not displaying that content.

My log is at Shared Files - Acrobat.com​

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2017 Jun 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Flash 25.0.0.171 it was released 3 weeks ago, so nothing has changed in Flash.  What happened 4 days ago on your system?  Did you install any updates?  When did you update to 52.1.2?

Please provide direct links (preferably to sites not requiring a log in to access the content) that exhibit the behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2017 Jun 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Flashplayer 25.0.0.171.  The install file was 25_d.  I don't think it is a Flash problem as everything works fine with other browsers.  I believe this is a Firefox issue.  Youtube videos play fine. I did not really have any system changes right before this began that I know of.  I know for certain it was working on 6/4 and I believe on 6/5 as well.  The sites I have had the problem on require login.  I also tested the 3 links you have above.  They work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2017 Jun 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the answer to the problem I was having, yes it does have an answer, just took some thrashing around.

When I first "upgraded" to Shockwave Flash 25.0.0.171 I was at Firefox 45.9.0 esr and Flash stopped working on Facebook and another site that I can't remember right now. I tried going to Firefox 52.0.2 esr thinking the solution might be a newer Firefox. This didn't fix the problem and (surprise) neither did 52.1.2 esr. They both (FF 52.x.x) had regressed to the resource hogging plugin-container.exe that never worked well in the past on My XP machines rendering them almost unusable. I tried a couple of older versons of Flash but none worked or would install.

I finally backed off and installed Firefox 45.8.0 esr with Flash 25.0.0.171 And BINGO My XP machines are working and I'm a happy camper.

Also want to thank everyone who tried to help 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  Yesterday I received an upgrade to Firefox ESR 52.2.0 and a Flash upgrade to 26.0.0.126.  What do you know??  Videos now work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for confirming the most recent release fixed the issue for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines