Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

swf file need to be converted to mp4 file format

New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have web-hosted training materials which consist of a .swf file, due to Flash EOL, those files are not working. Can you please guide me to convert the .swf file to .mp4 format so that my courses will be live and working. i tried a couple of online tools for conversion it didn't work.

Thanks

Suresh.M

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

The issue is that SWF itself isn't a video format, although you can embed a video into a SWF.  If the SWF actually contains the video (as opposed to being the video playback UI that loads an external video, which is also common), then you'd need to extract the video data into a separate file and then do a video conversion on it.  There are third-party tools that exist for stripping video data out of a SWF, but I can't vouch for them, and it sounds like you haven't had a lot of success.

If you'

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that SWF itself isn't a video format, although you can embed a video into a SWF.  If the SWF actually contains the video (as opposed to being the video playback UI that loads an external video, which is also common), then you'd need to extract the video data into a separate file and then do a video conversion on it.  There are third-party tools that exist for stripping video data out of a SWF, but I can't vouch for them, and it sounds like you haven't had a lot of success.

If you're lucky and have external video files in an older codec (FLV, etc), Adobe Media Encoder should be able to convert them.

One good way to figure this out would be to load the page while looking at the network tab of the browser's developer tools to see what's getting loaded as the page runs.  If you see separate video files loading when the video is playing, that makes things much easier.

If you only have SWFs with embedded video, do you have any of the source files (FLAs, etc)?  Did you create the SWFs from another tool like Adobe Captivate or something?  If you have your old Captivate projects, current versions of Captivate will let you output directly to HTML5 and JavaScript.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if you're delivering these training materials inside an enterprise on an internal network, the Enterprise Enablement features might be useful for you. 

You can read more about that in the Enterprise EOL FAQ, here: 

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/enterprise-end-of-life.html

And in the admin guide: 

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have a Mac, or access to one, you want Mac SWF Video Converter v4.0.7 (1/17/2015) or perhaps later, by Doremisoft, with which you can convert .SWF files to many video formats including hi-res MP4.  Including the audio.  This application really works well.  I've been using it on SWF files I created with Adobe Captivate starting in 2006 and then on ones later on.  Luckily I bought the application several years ago and it still works today on my older Mac running High Sierra.  I bet they have a Windows version but I didn't buy that one.  Your SWFs probably must contain the video and audio.  All of mine do from Captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines