swf files in Flash Player Projector trying to force a connection to the internet?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2020 Nov 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

In light of Flash Player shutting down at the end of the year I'm trying to save some games from a site I used to play when I was a kid as .swf files while the option still exists to me. I have a Firefox extension which allows me to save swf files and I have pulled a few games from the site, but I can't seem to figure out a way to execute the content.

I downloaded the Flash Projector from Adobe's site but when I try to open the file, I just get a blank white page and a request for the file to communicate with the site, which feels kind of self-defeating as the games will likely no longer be accessible. In any case, no matter what setting I choose, it doesn't load the game. Each time I start the projector, I get the same prompt, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. As well, if I try to run the Projector as an admin, I get an error message: "Windows cannot access the specified path, device, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

if anyone would be able to advise me, that would be great. Thanks!

TOPICS
End of life, Error, How to, SWF

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But Flash Projector is reaching EOL and closing down too...

Anyway, even if it wasn't, a game isn't likely to be self-contained in an SWF, except for the simplest ones. The gameplay is likely to be managed by software on the site itself. So... it isn't that Flash Projector needs to contact the internet, it's that the SWF file wants to do that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, depending on the game/application, it can be way more complicated than just grabbing a SWF off a page.  There's not a great way to just scrape games and use them forever in a generic way.  I know there are a couple active projects aimed at preserving classic Flash games, but don't remember them off the top of my head.  I assume they have the appropriate rights and permissions.

You downloaded a SWF, but that SWF can in turn load other stuff, and depending on how the game is built, it's not necessarily going to look at an adjacent local filesystem just because that's where you loaded it from.  It's totally dependent on how the game was written, and if the game developers were getting paid by the adviews on the hosting page, they probably didn't want you to be able to just save it once and run it locally without getting compensated.

The technology for the game developer to make this game available as a desktop application exists, and they own the rights to their work. 

The right answer here would be to ask them to make that content available (and to compensate them for that work).  You could drop them a note to tell them how much you appreciate their game, and ask them to publish it as an application.  If there's enough interest and people willing to pay, they might be interested.

For what it's worth, we announced in 2017 that Flash Player was ending, to give individual content publishers time to make the jump to another technology. 

Background:

https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-flash-update/

https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/end-of-life.html

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2020 Dec 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find myself behind the eight ball, with the End of Life for Adobe Flash Player what should I purchase to accomplish the same task that the program did?  Or do I need to find a similar program, can someone help I am confused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing you can purchase to replace it. What needs Flash Player today will be soon dead and gone.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Suggest you pursue other interests that don't require Flash Player.

SWF is just one piece in a gigantic jigsaw puzzle. Without access to all the other project and asset files, you don't stand a chance of making this work so don't waste anymore time on it.

Nancy O'Shea, Adobe Product User & Community Professional
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines