• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Systems with 4CH mic recording capability do not appear to work on Adobe Falsh enabled websites

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2018 Feb 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For example Latitude 3189 on Rosetta Stone website.  When starting a lesson,   Adobe Flash pops up asking to select a Microphone.  Correct mic is displayed. After selecting mic, the app will attempt to test the mic.   Test fails because app cannot hear anything through the mic.  Note that same audio driver works fine on Latitude 7480 with only 2CH mic recording capability.  Recording tests work fine in Windows or at any non-Adobe flash site...Any ideas what may be happening here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To give you any useful advice, I'm going to need to know more about your computer and browser:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1195540

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latitude 3189

Windows 10 RS 3

Adobe Flash Version 28.0.0.161

happens on:

Internet Explorer 11

Google Chrome version 64.0.3282.186

Microsoft Edge

Realtek Audio driver version 6.0.1.8216

Note:  Have tried multiple systems that only support 2ch mic recording and none of them have this issue.   Its only systems like the Latitude 3189 that support 4ch mic recording that have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that we know what to do with two of those four channels.  All of that audio code was written in the early 2000s.  It may be that we're selecting the worst-possible choices (although you'd think that for compatibility, the driver guys would make the first two channels work for lowly stereo recording). 

If you right-click on the Flash content and choose Settings > Microphone, do you see the right Microphone selected in the list?

If you do have the right device selected, do you see activity there?

If not, do you see activity in the Sound > Microphone tab in the control panel?

I can't find a good visual reference for the RealTek audio controls, but you may just have to poke around in the driver options to see if you can force it into stereo when you want to use Flash Player.  I don't have a machine like this at my disposal, so I can't just go play with it and figure it out.

Also, if you haven't updated to the latest available RealTek drivers for that system (I didn't look to see if they were current) you might try that.  A lot of times the OEMs like Dell will lag pretty far behind what's available from RealTek directly.  You can always set a system restore point and then give the OEM drivers a shot.  There were a lot of realtek audio problems when Win10 was first released, but those are pretty stable.  This seems like it might be newer functionality though, and there might be a bugfix that's relevant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do see the correct microphone in the list.  No activity at all with the correct mic selected.   Unfortunately I cant force it into Stereo mode on the Realtek driver.   Have tried multiple Realtek drivers from Dell and Realtek.   The native High Definition Audio driver from Microsoft will work because it only supports 2 channel mic recording but functionality is definitely lost with that driver for instance the retaskable jack wont work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's helpful, thanks.  I can't think of an easy workaround.  It's interesting though.  I'll get a bug open on it.  What are you using for a microphone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have tried internal mic and several external mics.  All have the same issue.  Thanks.  If you need anything else, I will be glad to discuss it with you.  Just send me an email and I will get you my phone number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But they're regular mics with audio connectors, and not USB devices or headsets, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is correct.  USB devices work ok...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect, thanks.  Just wanted to make sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2018 Feb 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  Just curious if you got a bug opened on this and if so what is the bug number for tracking purposes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, can you give me the Dell Service Tag number off an affected machine?  I want to make sure I'm getting the one with the right chipset.  The model number doesn't give me enough detail to be sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2018 Mar 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am a colleague of markb62879921, Dell Service Tag number is HZJ63G2.

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Sadly, after reaching out to Dell via both CDW and directly through their tech support (which is what Dell recommended to our CDW rep), they continued to just send me in circles.

I'll see if I can find something comparable with the same audio chipset.  The educational models seem to be hard to find directly via Amazon, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2018 Mar 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, actually this issue isn't related to particular audio chip, it is related to the 4ch recording mic design.

You might have to find the exact Dell Latitude 3189 to observe the symptom, not all educational models work.

Below are links for your reference.

Amazon.com: Dell Latitude 3189 KNN4X 2-in-1 Convertible Notebook PC - Intel Pentium N4200 1.1 GHz Qu...

Amazon.com: Dell Latitude 11-3189 Intel Pentium N4200 X4 1.1GHz 4GB 128GB SSD 11.6" Win10, Black (Re...

Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thanks fantastic, thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Aligned with internal service team, we Dell can provide one unit for issue debugging if you need, as long as we can it back.

Please let us know.

Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!  I bought the first one that you referenced on Amazon this morning.  Can you elaborate on the point about the mic design?  Do I also need to buy a similar microphone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that's efficient.

No,you just need to do online recording with internal microphone.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,  Any update on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Monday afternoon, we have a laptop.  It's probably an afternoon of configuring it, and then finding a test that actually reproduces the problem.  It's in the queue and assigned, and the work will be prioritized appropriately in the context of the existing body of work in the queue.

Just to set realistic expectations, any fix from our end is going to be on the order of months (unless you want to deploy a beta, which might buy you a couple weeks, just depending on timing of when the fix lands).

We're in the endgame of our our April release at this point, so any potential fix is most likely going to land in May or June.  Again, this is totally dependent on complexity of the fix, risk of functional fallout (i.e. is it really straightforward and surgical, or do we think it would be wise to make sure it gets a few weeks of exposure in a public beta before we ship it to the ~2.5 billion machines currently running Flash Player) and there are the nuts-and-bolts aspects of release timing and logistics.

At the point that we actually diagnose the problem and fix it, We'll update the public bug that I linked above with something like "Hey, it's fixed in the beta and works fine for us.  Please confirm that it's working for you".  I put a link to this thread in the corresponding public and private bugs, so we'll more than likely update this thread at the same time, but redundancy doesn't hurt.

The big caveat is that we don't know at this point if it's even feasible to fix this from our end.  We still need to diagnose it.  Here's the thing that makes this really weird and interesting -- we don't do direct communication with the sound hardware -- we're just getting the stream from DirectX.

You'd think that the driver guys would ensure that this fell back to legacy software that only considers 2-channel recording.  We can't imagine that they didn't consider this scenario (i.e. you'd make sure the important audio is always in channels 0 and 1), so we're all really curious about what's going on.

I'm guessing that we'll at least know whats up in the next couple weeks.  The engineering team at Dell has also been very cool in terms of offering up support.  They're on this thread, and we have a back-channel going.  If it turns out to be something that Realtek or Dell need to get involved in, we know who to talk to in order to get that escalated efficiently.  Right now, we're just in a holding pattern while we reproduce the issue and debug it.

If you add a vote to that bug, it will send you an email notification when it gets updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes I am at Dell too.   Thanks for the update!   I will be glad to test any Beta fixes that you have if need be as well..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, right on.  I look at way too many forum posts and they all kind of blend together after a while.  I decided you guys were both working for a school district for some reason.  Clearly, I need a vacation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines