• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trouble uninstalling Adobe Flash Player

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the Adobe Flash player uninstaller from Adobe's web site. After a restart, I went to C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash. When I tried to delete the files in the folder, I got the following message:

"You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from TrustedInstaller to make changes to this file:

Flash.ocx

Type: ActiveX control

Size: 27.6 MB

Date modified: 10/2/2020 7:33 PM

Can you help me delete the files in this folder?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Flash.ocx file without version number in file name is most likely the Windows 8.x/10 browser-embeded Flash Player ActiveX Control, which Microsoft considers a browser component and prevents end-users from deleting the file by locking it.

Adobe's uninstallers do not remove/delete browser embedded Flash Player.  For Windows 8.x/10, Microsoft has released an update to remove the embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control.  See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577586/update-for-removal-of-adobe-flash-player

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple questions: 

1.  What version of Windows are we talking about? 
  2.  Do you have Administrator rights on the machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash.ocx file without version number in file name is most likely the Windows 8.x/10 browser-embeded Flash Player ActiveX Control, which Microsoft considers a browser component and prevents end-users from deleting the file by locking it.

Adobe's uninstallers do not remove/delete browser embedded Flash Player.  For Windows 8.x/10, Microsoft has released an update to remove the embedded Flash Player ActiveX Control.  See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4577586/update-for-removal-of-adobe-flash-player for more information.  If you encounter issues running the update, please contact Microsoft as it's their update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i got the same issue but i got a fesh drive, there never were earlier versions of windows on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it seems like this finally links back to the original adobe uninstal help page.

there are no clear solutions and if they are ... it is a lot of research.

Adobe should just come up with a better uninstaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"Adobe should just come up with a better uninstaller."

Adobe's uninstallers do not remove browser embedded Flash Player.  It can't as those files are part of the browser and owned by the browser.  The solution, at least for Microsoft, is the 'correct' answer to this post.

For Chrome, Google removed Flash Player support from Chrome (including removing the embedded Flash Player files) in Chrome 88, released Jan 19, 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines