• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to check for Updates- Flash Player 32.0.0.344 on Mac OS X

Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of Mac OS X and Safari. Have version 32.0.0.344 Flash player. When I try to check for updates, I get this message: "Unable to Check -There was a problem trying to check for available updates. Check your Internet connection and try again." My internet connection is fine. This problem only began in the last 3 or 4 days. Any way to enable checking for updates?

TOPICS
Update

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Guess what. I merely used my brain for a second and simply uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player and so far everything is working properly. 

Easy peasy. As Occum's Razor states - The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Thanks for trying, Maria. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you checking for updates?  Please post a screenshot of the error.

Flash Player releases occur on the 2nd Tuesday of the month, unless there's a 0-day security release.

The best way to ensure Flash Player is up-to-date is to use the Background Update option.  With this option selected, Flash Player regularly checks (once per day) for an update.  If an update is found, then it's downloaded and installed silently in the background.  With this option selected, Flash Player is updated within 24 hours of a new version being released, assumign an active internet connection.

To opt into background upates, go to System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab and select 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)' option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screenshot. I have since changed the preference to automatic, but I have my doubts.Screen Shot 2020-04-09 at 4.57.36 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the screenshot.

The 'notify me to install updates' option results in Flash Player checking for an update in 7-day intervals. 

The check for updates logs output to the system.log file (a general macOS log file that many programs write to).  We can take a look at that and see if it's recording an error.  Please do the following:

1. Launch the Flash Player Settings Manager & navigate to the Updates tab
  2. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Console.app
  3. In the Devices column, select /var/log
  4. In the column to the right, locate and select system.log
  5. Click Clear to clear the file output on the right-most column
  6. In the Flash Player Settings Manager > Updates tab, click Check Now
  7. Select the output written to the system.log file and copy it into your reply, using the Code format option (</>).  If there is sensitive information in the output, you can private message me the output.

Here's a screenshot of the console when I checked for an update:

check for update.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the Settings Manager on the Adobe website. Didn't find any Updates tab. I really don't understand what you are talking about. Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash Player Settings Manager I'm referring to is the local app you have been using to check for Updates as shown in the screenshot you posted (and in the screenshot I posted):  System Preferences > Flash Player > Updates tab.  I apologize for not being specific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I understood you correctly. You are far more technically knowledgeable than me. Is this what you wanted?Screen Shot 2020-04-13 at 7.19.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting the output.  None of the entries are Flash Player related.

I was hoping to get some logs of when Flash Playet checked for updates (as in my screenshot), but what you posted doesn't show anything for Flash Player.

Since you switched the update option from 'Notify me to install updates' to ''Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)' Flash Player should be updated automatially within 24 hours of the next Flash Player release.  Flash Player regular release schedule is the 2nd Tuesday of the month (tomorrow).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guess what. I merely used my brain for a second and simply uninstalled and reinstalled Flash Player and so far everything is working properly. 

Easy peasy. As Occum's Razor states - The simplest answer is usually the correct one.

Thanks for trying, Maria. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome - glad it all worked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines