Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install Flash 26 due to Flash 17 and 23

New Here ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am trying to update my network computers with Flash but am having a lot of issues with it in Internet Explorer.

To test I ran the Adobe Flash 26 .msi on a stand alone PC. Around half way through the install it pauses and ask for the file: 'install_flash_player_17_active_x.msi' Which I do not have. If I close that I get another pop up asking for 'install_flash_player_23_active_x.msi'

I have tried running the flash uninstaller ('uninstall_flash_player.exe') and deleted the files. Tried installing and I get the same messages.

At this point it looks like I will need to rebuild every PC that has this installed.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to try before I go that route, could be close to 30 computers affected and the only builds I have are from the previous tech who caused this mess in the first place. And no. I don't have copies of Flash 17 or 23. As far as I can tell the requested file paths lead to the previous tech's profile which he deleted before he left.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Unfortunately, your previous tech messed up.  MSI installers leave a cache record on the system (or network, depending on how it was installed) and require this cached file when uninstalling (even when using the standalone uninstaller).  Based on the information you provided, it appears this cache was in the previous tech's profile, which is no longer accessible.

Flash Player archives, including FP 17 & 23 MSI installers are posted at Archived Adobe Flash Player versions​, but there are 3 release

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, your previous tech messed up.  MSI installers leave a cache record on the system (or network, depending on how it was installed) and require this cached file when uninstalling (even when using the standalone uninstaller).  Based on the information you provided, it appears this cache was in the previous tech's profile, which is no longer accessible.

Flash Player archives, including FP 17 & 23 MSI installers are posted at Archived Adobe Flash Player versions​, but there are 3 releases per major version.  You could find out which version is on the system, obtain the MSI for that version from the Archive page and use it to uninstall.  Of course, this would be time-consuming.  The tech note MSI GUID list for Adobe Flash Player  lists all MSI GUIDs for all versions of Flash Player.  You can use this information to query the registry to find out which version of Flash is installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not back on site until tomorrow but will check it as soon as possible and report back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup. It was version 17.0.0.188 and I found a version of 23 in my companies archives to get that one working.

Thank you for the help. Perfect answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome.  Glad you were able to resolve the issue and install the latest version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines