• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uninstaller thinks Chrome is running and won't uninstall

New Here ,
Aug 02, 2017 Aug 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently quit using Chrome and returned to Firefox. I have had some problems with weird displays and the browser locking up, so I posted for assistance in the Firefox forum. Apparently, I have two versions of Shockwave Flash on my PC (Windows 7), Shockwave Flash 26.0 r0  and Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0. I was instructed to use the Uninstaller to remove both and their associated appdata, but when I try to run the Uninstaller, it won't start because it thinks Chrome is open and that I need to close it. Chrome, needless to say, is NOT running. I have done a Windows update, I have restarted the computer, and I have done a cold boot. However, the Uninstaller still seems to think Chrome is running and does not offer any option to shut Chrome down itself. I know Chrome's not running, nor has the computer noted that it's running either time I've shut it down.

Is removing the conflicting versions via the Control Panel as effective as the Flash Uninstaller? If so, will that also remove the associated appdata files at the same time?

If not, how can I resolve this issue and get the Uninstaller to run? Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Chrome runs in the background sometimes, particularly if you use Google Hangouts.

If you go to Task Manager (just hit Start and type Task Manager in the search bar) and sort by name, you can just manually kill any of the instances of Chrome that are hanging around in order to get the uninstaller to proceed.

It's also a little surprising that we're blocking on Chrome, since we don't manage the installation process for Chrome (Flash Player is a built-in component of that browser).  I'm wondering if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2017 Aug 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chrome runs in the background sometimes, particularly if you use Google Hangouts.

If you go to Task Manager (just hit Start and type Task Manager in the search bar) and sort by name, you can just manually kill any of the instances of Chrome that are hanging around in order to get the uninstaller to proceed.

It's also a little surprising that we're blocking on Chrome, since we don't manage the installation process for Chrome (Flash Player is a built-in component of that browser).  I'm wondering if you have a really old uninstaller.

Can you try grabbing a current copy from here?

Uninstall Flash Player - Windows:

https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Task Manager.  No apps are running. It's weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

task manager -> processes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 20, 2019 Oct 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this software needs to just DIE already. geezus h.

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 21, 2019 Oct 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try the Details view, and be sure to view processes from all users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is this Details view, of which you speak?  "Details view" is too generic an expression to Google.  Please always include complete steps, path, whatever. I"m sure I'm old enough to be your dad, and I'm actually "on the short bus" for a variety of reasons, all from the neck up.  I've also lived through 30 years' clinical depression, and really can't afford needless frustratioins.

I've never used Google Hangouts on the machine that uninstalled one version of Adobe Flash Player, but not another.  I've reopened Control Panel/Settings/Apps & features, and selected Adobe Flash Player.

What is displayed is 

1 app found:

Adobe Flash Player 32 PPAPI                                4.07 MB

11/10/2020

When I select Uninstall, the popup window that is the Adobe logo Adobe Flash Player uninstaller appears.

It has this text, "This program will remove Adobe(R) Flash(R) Player from your computer."

It lies, or is sadly mistaken. It insists Chrome needs to be stopped, even after a restart.

I also opened Task Manager, but before and after the restart, to verify that Chrome was not running.

I'm sorry you feel embarrassed.  I tried becoming a coder back in the 1980s,and was doing very well,  but my ride to college, from 35 miles away fell thtrough, and not even family would help.  I've seen how complicated it is. It's amazing that things work at all.

Stay safe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having the same issue.  Exactly as you have stated.  Cannot seem to find a work around option.  Very FRUSTRATING!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete)  > Details.

Quit Process.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, "When in doubt, reboot" is still great advice, even in 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look closely at my original message, you'll see I included the words
"before and after restart." I now reboot nightly, before I go to bed.

None of that fixes the broken Flash Player uninstall process.

[E-mail junk removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so glad the "correct" answer provided by the "experts didn't manage to address the issue at all for you.(Me either BTW.) I figured out on mine that even though chrome wasn't running in the task manager, that it was down in the "hidden icons" 

adobe.pngclosing it there and the problem was solved... at least for me. Unlike those who think the above is the correct answer I won't pretend that your problem might not be different then mine, but hopefully this helps someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2020 Nov 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion is from 2017.  Meanwhile, Flash Player is ending life soon so this is all a moot point.

Find other interests that don't require Flash Player because after Dec 31st, browsers will completely remove Flash support.  See links below for details.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm actually very familiar with how to launch Task Manager, with
Ctrl-Alt-Del.

I don't need to end a process. Task Manager shows Chrome isn't running at
all, *as I said*, when the Flash Player removal tool says it's waiting for
Chrome to close.

[E-mail junk removed by moderator.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines