• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Uninstalling Flash Player

Community Beginner ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Question. When I opened the icon Adobe Flash Player Manager, it asked that I click on "uninstall". No problem there, BUT... after clicking this I received another message: "Adobe Flash Player Install Manager is trying to install a new helper tool. Enter your password to allow this." Is this safe and why do I need a "new helper tool" to uninstall Flash Player?

Thank you for your help,

Connie

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Yeah, this is normal.  MacOS has been tightening things down over the years with regard to appliication installation (i.e. funneling everything through the App Store), but Flash Player isn't a traditional desktop application.  We're a browser plug-in.  Recent MacOS updates require additional permissions to run our installers and uninstallers, which is why MacOS is asking for your password.  The goal is to create a speed bump so that attackers can't silently add or remove critical system componen

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that I checked to see which version of Flash Player I have on my MacBook Air and it's not listed. I looked under the Utilities folder and found the Install Manager there. The only info listed states when it was created (11/24/20), when it was last modified (12/08/20), and the last time it was opened, which was today. Please advise to both comments.

Thank you in advance for your help,

Connie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, this is normal.  MacOS has been tightening things down over the years with regard to appliication installation (i.e. funneling everything through the App Store), but Flash Player isn't a traditional desktop application.  We're a browser plug-in.  Recent MacOS updates require additional permissions to run our installers and uninstallers, which is why MacOS is asking for your password.  The goal is to create a speed bump so that attackers can't silently add or remove critical system components.

Anyway, if you have any doubts about the authenticity of a pop-up or application, validating the digital signature on the corresponding executable is the authoritative way to confirm whether or not it came from a reputable publisher, and has been unmodified since it left their build systems.

The easier path is to simply download a new copy of the uninstaller from a trusted source.  When in doubt, better safe than sorry.

You can get our uninstaller here: 

Uninstall Flash Player - Mac:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

Uninstall Flash Player - Windows:
https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines