• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Flash player message on Windows 10, Is this legit?

New Here ,
Dec 24, 2018 Dec 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have windows 10 newest version 1809. Is running fine. I recently got Microsoft updates to flash. This is fine and they went through OK.

Now after log in I get a legitimate Update flash message from adobe.  I use Edge and have Internet explorer on the system, no other browser. 

The only way to update flash is through Microsoft Updates, so why am I getting this message?

My flash player is PPAPI plug in version 31.0.0.153

I looked at Task Scheduler it has Adobe Flash player Updater and Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Notifier , at the bottom it says configure for Vista, and Windows Server 2008? These updaters were installed 11/29.

This update message seems strange. I do not do the download. I click remind me later.

Is this message OK?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2018 Dec 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yOUR TELLING ME FLASH PLAYER IS FINE BUT HOW COME I CANT PLAY MY GAMES AND IT'S TELLING TO ENABLE FLASH PLAYER THERE HAS GOT TO BE AN ANSWER

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No that is not the question. All video works ok. I do not play games. I have windows 10 for over 3 years. All Flash updates come from Microsoft in their auto updates.  This is the first time I have ever received an update message directly from Adobe.  It looks legit. Maybe its ok but I do not feel comfortable doing a download from a message.  In Windows 10 you cannot go into flash and do a manual update, Flash is integrated into Edge and Internet Explorer.

Tried to call Adobe but they will not speak on the phone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since your updates to Edge can only arrive from Microsoft, there is no point downloading even if legit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, but I want to know how to get rid of this message. It says it can remind me later, or it will download anyway in 45 days. I am tired of this message coming up all the time after log in.

Where does this message come from? Why is there no info on it? Why on Windows 10? What is Adobe doing? No answers, and no way to find answers from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds you are infected with a fake flash plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.  I have been exploring this possibility. And I have been told it is not malware (McAfee).

the message comes from -

C:\WINDOWS\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_31_0_0_153_pepper.exe

This is a legitimate Adobe update message process.

Am I wrong? how would I find out if it was fake?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The message is to update Flash Player PPAPI plugin (for Chromium-based browsers) as the version installed is old. Current version is 32.0.0.101 and you have 31.0.0.153 installed.

If you use Chrome, there is no need to install the PPAPI plugin manually as Google embeds Flash Player in Chrome.  To uninstall it and stop receiving the update notifications go to Control Panel > Programs & Features.  Locate the Adobe Flash Player PPAPI entry, double-click and follow onscreen prompts to uninstall it.

If you use a different Chromium-based browser (e.g. Opera, Brave, etc) then you should update Flash to the most recent version.  Adobe also recommends users select the update option 'Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)'.  This option updates Flash Player within 24 hours of a new version being available with no user interaction required.

Note: Adobe's North American offices are closed through January 1, 2019.  Replies from staff members will be delayed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 26, 2018 Dec 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the info, but lets get to specifics. I am running Windows 10 Edge browser.  All Microsoft updates have gone through successfully including recent Adobe flash updates. Were these updates supposed to upgrade me to  32.0.0.101? Apparently they did not.

I read that Adobe flash updates come through Microsoft updates.  Is this wrong?

Should I go ahead and press download when I get the Adobe message? Can Adobe upgrade my flash to 32.0.0.101?

I look at my Adobe flash player settings manager, and the button is pressed for "notify me to install updates" is this causing the message?

Please  tell me what to do? This is so weird. I talked to Microsoft and they knew nothing. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2018 Dec 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue appears to be resolved. On Dec 12 I received an update from Microsoft that upgraded my active x flash to 32.0.0.101. So edge is current and ok. However, on Nov 31 Adobe downloaded PPAPI plugin 31.0.0.153.  The Nov 31 installation date was in all the PPAPI programs in the flash files. This is totally weird. I received no notification of this download, and had no other browsers on my system but Edge and IE. Once the PPAPI plug in was downloaded I immediately got notifications to upgrade the PPAPI?

Microsoft helped me. They completely deleted FLASH and all the PPAPI stuff. Edge and IE are fine.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this was I had an old version of Chrome on the system that I deleted a while back. Perhaps some old Chrome  or Adobe stuff was still in the system that triggered the Adobe download. I don't know and probably never will. I have no desire to dig into Adobe again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for the info, but lets get to specifics. I am running Windows 10 Edge browser.

I understood that from your first post, including that Microsoft updates were installed fine.

I mentioned PPAPI plugin in my reply based on the following comments in your first post:

My flash player is PPAPI plug in version 31.0.0.153

I looked at Task Scheduler it has Adobe Flash player Updater and Adobe Flash Player PPAPI Notifier , at the bottom it says configure for Vista, and Windows Server 2008? These updaters were installed 11/29.

The above indicates that an old version of Flash Player PPAPI plugin is installed on the system.

I look at my Adobe flash player settings manager, and the button is pressed for "notify me to install updates" is this causing the message?

Yes, with an older version of PPAPI plugin installed, you were being notified that a newer version was available to install.

Note that, on Windows 10, this update option only applies to Flash Player NPAPI (for Firefox) or PPAPI (for Chromium-based browsers).  It does not apply to Flash Player ActiveX for IE/Edge as the distribution of the embedded Flash Player ActiveX for IE/Edge is managed by Microsoft via Windows Updates.

Microsoft helped me. They completely deleted FLASH and all the PPAPI stuff. Edge and IE are fine.

Great.  Glad they were able to assist you.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused this was I had an old version of Chrome on the system that I deleted a while back.

This appears to be the case.  If Flash Player PPAPI plugin was uninstalled correctly, you should not receive any more notifications to update Flash Player.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines