• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update...or not? If so...how?

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe's own page says, "Adobe Flash Player never checks for updates, so your system is vulnerable to security issues. It's necessary to manually check the Adobe website to find the latest version of Flash Player.Dec 13, 2015"

If that IS the case...i.e. that Flash Player never checks for updates....then WHY is my computer CONSTANTLY presenting me with the (start-up-triggered advisory): "An update to Adobe Flash Player is available"??? You know...in the big dark grey rectangle with the familiar red and white graphics and text?

In fact, I thought I read somewhere (a year or two ago) that Windows 10 doesn't NEED, WANT or even USE Flash Player anyway!

So, SHOULD I be clicking on "DOWNLOAD" on this eternal, annoying update advisory?

Or, should I IGNORE it?

Or, should I figure out how to DISABLE it?

Or,.....or.....or??

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a link to the page in question.

In fact, I thought I read somewhere (a year or two ago) that Windows 10 doesn't NEED, WANT or even USE Flash Player anyway!

Windows 10 does use Flash.  Microsoft embeds Flash Player ActiveX Control in Internet Explorer and Edge browsers.  All Flash Player updates are distributed by Microsoft via Windows Update (update to IE/Edge browser).

If a user uses Chrome browser, Google also embeds Flash Player in Chrome and releases Flash Player updates

If a user uses any other browser, then the user needs to manually install Flash Player.  At time of installation, user chooses one of the following update options:

1. Never check for updates (not recommended)
  2. Notify me to install updates
  3. Allow Adobe to install updates (recommended)

Option 1:  Flash Player will never check for an update.  User has to check manually

Option 2: Flash Player checks for an update and notifies user an update is available.  On Windows, this is a notification dialog window that displays when user logs into the system.

Option 3:  Flash Player periodically checks for an update.  If an update is found, then the update is installed silently in the background without any user interaction.

Sounds like the notification you are seeing is from a manually installed Flash Player where option 2 was selected.

To confirm which Flash Player types you have installed, please launch Control Panel and go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items.  Click on the Flash Player item to launch the Flash Player Settings Manager.  In the Flash Player Settings Manager go to the Updates tab.  Post a screenshot of the Updates tab.

Also, post a screenshot of the Update Notification window you are getting.

Thank you.

Note:  For posting screenshots, please do so here in the forums.  Do not reply via email and attach screenshots to the email.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you selectively quoting the description of an option that is not recommended?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure what you mean by "selectively quoting".

I provided information the options as they appear in the Installer dialog window, at time of installation (as indicated in my comment).

Except I accidentally reversed the 1st & 3rd options (was doing from memory).  The never check for updates is clearly marked not recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, Maria, mine was a reference to the first post, which managed to simply imply that Flash never checked for updates at all, rather than that there is an option to turn it off. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying.  I was a bit confused.

I'm not sure what page OP is refering to.  We have hundreds of pages, so without a link, I'm not sure what page they're referring to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maria, by good luck I found what I think is the page: https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-background-updates.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for posting that.

I'd agree with your previous post - OP posted an incomplete, misleading excerpt of an option that's not recommended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines