• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Version of Flash

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2019 Mar 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I've got a question about Flash.  (Windows 10, 1809 version). My anti virus software detected a critical level update to Adobe flash.  (This was through a vulnerability scan I ran through my software, not a pop up I got while online). When I went to install the update I ran into trouble.  I have two browsers on my computer--Chrome and MS Edge.  I opened up Flash via my computers control panel to check for updates & see what version I have.  There was a link to update it right there in the Flash window, which took me to Adobes website that listed current versions of Flash for various browsers & operating systems.  When I looked at the version of Flash that I have on my computer, it matches the current version Adobe has out for Chrome--32.0.0.142.  However, the current version for MS Edge is 32.0.0.144.  I'm guessing my anti virus software detected the 142 version as being out of date, however I'm not sure how to fix this--I can't exactly have two versions of Flash on my computer.  Chrome is my default browser  and the only browser that we use, so should I just not worry about the version I'm "missing" for Edge?  Honestly, we don't do any web browsing, online video viewing, etc. on this computer, I only use it for Photoshop & Lightroom and reading PDF files.   Do I even need Flash, or can I just uninstall it? Thanks for the help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Chrome and Edge use 2 different types of Flash Player. Chrome uses PPAPI plugin, and Edge uses the ActiveX Control  They are not interchangeable.

Both Google and Microsoft embed Flash Player in Chrome and Edge, respectively, and they also release updates to Flash via Component Update (Chrome) and Windows Updates (Edge).  There is no need to install Flash Player separately for these browsers.  Actually, there isn't a separate Flash Player ActiveX Control installer for Edge that you can use to install Flash Player.

As per Adobe - Flash Player , the current version of Flash Player PPAPI plugin for Chrome is 32.0.0.142 and the current version of Flash Player ActiveX Control for Edge (and IE on Windows 8.1 and above) is 32.0.0.144, so it seems you have the most recent version of Flash Player installed.

Does your anti-virus software indicate the directory location of the Flash Player version it detects as being out-of-date?  If so, please provide that information.

Also, what anti-virus software, including version, are you using?

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria! Thanks so much for the help.  I use McAfee Total Protection.  It is telling me that my version of Flash Player is 10.3.181.22 and the latest version is 11.5.502.146.  When I tell McAfee to go ahead and instal the update, it tells me that it can't and instead sends me to the Adobe website, https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/.  After turning off the optional McAfee offers (since I've already got a McAfee subscription), I've clicked Install now, and then downloaded & ran  Flash installer.  I'me done this twice now, restarted my computer & still get this message when I run my vulnerability scanner with McAfee.  I'm not sure what to do? I just want to be sure I'm not leaving my system open to any security vulnerabilities, which is why I'm considering just uninstalling Flash.  (Still all the love for Adobe though, I've got a Ligroom/Photoshop monthly subscription that I adore!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is telling me that my version of Flash Player is 10.3.181.22 and the latest version is 11.5.502.146.

Did you update your system from a previous version to Windows 10, or did you purchase it with Windows 10?

Does the McAfee report include a directory path, or registry location, for the old version it's detecting?  If so, please provide that information.

Please go to Control Panel > Programs and Features

• Are there any entries for Adobe Flash Player?  If so, post a screenshot, including the Version column

I'm considering just uninstalling Flash.

If the only versions installed are the embedded versions, then there is no way to uninstall the embedded versions of Flash Player as they are components of the browsers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased my computer with Windows 10 a couple of weeks ago.  I just updated Windows a week ago Saturday and when I l check for Windows updates, it sa my system is currently up to date.  McAfee isn't giving me any type of directory information other than the numbers I provided above.  I do find Flash Player 32 bit as an option when I open my Control Panel.  When Imopen this up, I get the Flash Player Settings Manager.  I've attached a screen shot of what I think  you are requesting for the version column.  (First image) When I choose "check now" it sends me to this website.  (2nd screen shot) When I go to the install uninstall programs area, in Windows 10,  it does look like it will let me uninstall Flash, however I haven't  tried yet.  I feel like this may be an embedded version, as I think McAfee was telling me to update Flash last week and  I hadn't even installed it myself yet.  I've also tried changing those update settings to automatic update in the Flash Player Manager and it won't let me change them. 

IMG_0309.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know Maria, as I study what you've told me, it appears to me (though I could absolutely be wrong!) that my PPAPI plug in for Chrome is up to date.  I'm wondering, if I go to the Adobe website that I screen shot above, and select "Player Downlpad Center", would that lead me to a place where I could update ActiveX Control, which it sounds like Edge requires?  Is it possible for me to have the PPAPI version and the Active X Control b on my computer? I'm wondering if it's the ActiveX Control that McAfee wants me to update.  (The easiest thing would be to just uninstall Microsoft Edge but it unfortunately won't let me, otherwise I'd do that!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information.

I do find Flash Player 32 bit as an option when I open my Control Panel.  When Imopen this up, I get the Flash Player Settings Manager.

This is the Flash Player Settings Manager, not the Flash Player plugin/Activex Control itself.  This allows end-users to manage various settings within Flash Player.

The browser embedded versions of Flash Player don't display in the Flash Player Settings Manager, which is why you don't see a version for Edge/IE listed.  Since PPAPI plugin version is listed, it indicates that at some point you installed the PPAPI plugin for Chromium-based browsers.  Since Chrome embeds Flash Player, there is no need to install it separately, and you can safely uninstall the Flash Player PPAPI plugin via the Control Panel, or use the Flash Player uninstaller

To uninstall via the Control Panel entry:

• Launch the Control Panel
  • Navigate to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
  • Double-click on Adobe Flash Player 32 PPAPI
  • The Uninstall Adobe Flash Player window will display
  • Click UNINSTALL
    • If Chrome is open, or some other Chromium-based app, the uninstaller will prompt you to close the apps before uninstallation proceeds

I'm wondering, if I go to the Adobe website that I screen shot above, and select "Player Downlpad Center", would that lead me to a place where I could update ActiveX Control, which it sounds like Edge requires? 

Since Microsoft embeds Flash Player in Edge/IE there is no separate installer for it.  All updates are distributed by Microsoft via Windows Update.

Is it possible for me to have the PPAPI version and the Active X Control b on my computer?

Absolutely, since PPAPI plugin is for Chromium-based browsers and ActiveX Control is for Edge/IE. These are not interchangeable.  Meaning, Chrome cannot use the ActiveX Control and Edge/IE cannot use PPAPI.

I'm wondering if it's the ActiveX Control that McAfee wants me to update.

I've seen a couple of instances in the past of users updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and the Microsoft update failed to completely remove old version Flash Player artifacts from the registry, resulting in some anti-virus software detecting an old version of Flash Player installed.  This is why I asked if you had updated your system to Windows 10, or purchased it with Windows 10.

It's also possible Microsoft is not cleaning up after itself when it updates Flash, for example as described here Old flash player files clogging up system If this is the case on your system, you really don't want to randomly delete files, especially from certain directories, as the last comment in that discussion topic states.  With that said 10.3.181.22 & 11.5.502.146 (released 6/5/2011 & 1/8/2013 respectively) are extremely old versions and it'd be strange that Microsoft is possibly including some artifact this old on their system.

Essentially, without knowing what files McAfee is detecting as being old (which you've indicated McAfee doesn't provide the info on, just that it's finding some old files) you'd have to perform a needle-in-a-haystack search of your system (file system and registry) looking for the old versions McAfee is detecting.  With that said, Microsoft manages the ActiveX Control updates and this would be an issue for them to resolve.  I was just trying to get more information, since we've had a couple of similar reports in the past, and perhaps may have been the same issue, which again, would be for Microsoft to resolve.

I'm sorry I can't provide more information on these old versions McAfee is detecting.

--

Maria

<edit: a word>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2019 Mar 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria! I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.  I spent over an hour on the phone with McAfee this afternoon trouble shooting this.   The information you provided above regarding the release dates of the older Flash Player versions was very helpful when we were trouble shooting, as were some of the other things you pointed out above.   I think I've got the problem solved now and just wanted to thank you again for the help, I really appreciate it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2019 Mar 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're very welcome.  Glad I could help and that you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have something else on this topic, post back here & I'll receive an email notification that a new comment was added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines