• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Viewing SWF after December 31st 2020

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings and salutations. Over the last several decades I've aquired many animations from various artists that all use the .swf format. How am I going to continue to watch and enjoy these now that Flash is dead?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash is not dead. An attempt at murder happened but the will of the people decide.

There are several solutions.

You can use a Standalone Flash / SWF Player so you can load your saved swf files in. Then play them offline. There are many. Each with their own quirks and incompatabilities. A good one however can play most swf files more or less as originally intended.

The Flash player from adobe can be found here and is named Flash Player projector https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

Have sites that have not already update themselves to playback swfs as a different format like webassembly. Ruffle.rs is commonly used for this. It is currently a work in progress and there are also several others doing more or less the same. The idea is it takes a flash file, loads it as webassembly, then plays it like normal with no loss of any kind. Since its played in webassebly it cant be saved properly anymore (far as I know) and the flash security issues that supposedly existed in the past are fixed this way. Also some swf should extend to mobile devices because of that. Im having issues using it with firefox though.

Use another player for playing flash files in browser. I have had success doing so with SuperNova SWF Enabler while using the Chrome browser.

You can also look into https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/ a swf archive and list. With it I hear you can play swfs, add swfs, and request the archiving of swfs.

The Internet Archive is also archiving swfs. I encourage you to add to them.

Then there are the chan sites with their flash / swf torrents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the stand alone, like Flash Player Projector, will work wiithout Flash installed on my computer? Ok, cool. Some of them have multiple paths and will pop up buttons now and again, otherwise I'd see if there is a way to convert them to .webm. As for archiving them, umm, a lot of them aren't, how do I put this delicately... Not kid friendly. >.> Don't know if they'd go for that, otherwise I'd just point the Wayback Machine to the artist's web page or archive up the stuff the artist's website has vanished into the void. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh! I just tried the Flash Player Projector link you provided, it's broken. In Vivaldi browser it just said "Content Blocked" , in Edge it allowed me to run once and then threw up the Flash EOL page. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Flash Projector is a standlone app to view SWF files, it's not a browser plugin, thus doesn't work on any browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, and when I tried to download it, it threw me to the EOL page instead of downloading it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What URL (page) did you go to and which file did you attempt to download?  I was able to successfully download the projector files (for both Mac and Windows) with no error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im able to download it here:

https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html

choose "Flash Projector Content Debugger" (version for your appropriate device)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2021 Jan 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you still get the same problem due to unknown reason, here is archived version of the page from december 31 2020 that definitely will work 

https://web.archive.org/web/20201231144810/https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Content debugger' is for content developers to debug their projectds.  A regular user using the content debuger will encounter various errors making the viewing experience less enjoyable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Flash Player is dead because browsers killed plugins for security reasons.

You'll be hard pressed to find any browsers that will support Flash content off the Internet.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines