• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is geo2.adobe.com?

New Here ,
Apr 28, 2018 Apr 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally had to install Flash for a must-have feature on a website on a new computer. Whenever I use the latest version (29.0.0.140), it wants to phone home to geo2.adobe.com. I blocked the connection and Flash worked anyway, so that's a positive. I leave location services turned off on my home machine, so is Adobe trying to circumvent my preferences?

System information:

Mac OS 11.13.4 (High Sierra)

Safari 11.1

Flash Player 29.0.0.140

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Sorry, I was trying to copy and paste the title and clicked answered.  I appear to lack the permissions to change it back.

I'm poking around internally to try and get you some official documentation.  The explanation is mundane, but I want to make sure that it's 100% accurate.

In the meantime, rather than asking you to take my word, I'd encourage you to just take a look for yourself.  We're explicitly very transparent about what we're doing, and the requests are readily inspectable.  For HTTPS req

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you seeing the request when you install Flash Player, or when viewing Flash content?

What is your geo-location?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It happened when using Flash Player on a website after a fresh install of the latest version. I have dug through every TOS/Privacy policy/License I can find on Adobe's site and there's nothing about geo-location specifically--only IP address which could be used as a rough geo-locator.

I rarely use Flash and typically install it, use it, uninstall it. I've monitored my network connections for years and don't remember seeing outgoing connections when using Flash Player in the past, but could have a faulty memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was trying to copy and paste the title and clicked answered.  I appear to lack the permissions to change it back.

I'm poking around internally to try and get you some official documentation.  The explanation is mundane, but I want to make sure that it's 100% accurate.

In the meantime, rather than asking you to take my word, I'd encourage you to just take a look for yourself.  We're explicitly very transparent about what we're doing, and the requests are readily inspectable.  For HTTPS requests, you can use a web debugging proxy to see what's going across in cleartext. 

For this request in particular, you can literally just type the address into a browser:

http://geo2.adobe.com/

For convenience, this is what's coming back for me:

http://geo2.adobe.com/

In contrast, if you're not familiar with what your browser normally sends for each request, you might find the fingerprinting section here enlightening: https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines