• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does fpsaud contact websites I've visited (even non-adobe websites)? Does Adobe advertise that Flash tracks users actions?

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2015 Oct 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why does fpsaud contact websites I've visited (even non-adobe websites)?  Does Adobe advertise that Flash tracks users actions?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi aaronm97550419,

I'm assuming you're on a Mac system.  fpsaud is the Background Update daemon on OS X and it only contacts the Adobe server to check if an update is available.  This only happens if you are enrolled in Background Updates.  If you're not, then the daemon does nothing. There is no tracking involved and it does not contact any other websites.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no tracking involved and it does not contact any other websites.

Then why is my network monitor telling me fpsaud has sent and received data from b.scorecardresearch.com?

From the scorecardresearch.com website:

ScorecardResearch, a service of Full Circle Studies, Inc., is part of the comScore, Inc. market research community, a leading global market research effort that studies and reports on Internet trends and behavior. ScorecardResearch conducts research by collecting Internet web browsing data and then uses that data to help show how people use the Internet, what they like about it, and what they don’t.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

fpsaud is the Background Update daemon and only contacts Adobe servers.  If you have evidence indicating otherwise, please share the network logs with us to investigate further.  You can upload your network logs to cloud.acrobat.com/send using the instructions at How to share a document and post (or private message me) the link to the uploaded file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because Adobe is a monopoly who has all it's unsuspecting customers over a barrel and thinks it can do whatever it pleases with their data, including selling it to third parties.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaron,

'fpsaud' inserted itself in my Mac, without my permission. I removed it from Settings/Security & Privacy/Full Disk/ by looking for it in Applications, then throwing it in the Bin and deleting it permanently. Then, I went back to Settings/Security & Privacy/Full Disk, clicked on it, then clicked on 'MINUS' to remove it from there, so that it lost access to my account. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm going to lock this thread from 2015.  If you have an actual technical issue, please post a new topic.  

Just for completeness, the Flash Player System Administrator's Guide describes the auto-update mechanism and related processes in excruciating detail. 

https://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines