• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does it say this download is a virus?

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2018 Sep 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On this download page Archived Adobe Flash Player versions for old versions of Flash, when I click on the link to download Flash Player 6 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp6_archive.zip , it says it can't be downloaded because it detects it as a virus. This isn't my own antivirus software acting up. It says that right on the webpage itself. I can't imagine that Adobe would host a virus on their own website. Can somebody here who's an actual Adobe employee find out what is going on? And please fix it. I'm not sure how long Adobe will keep old versions of their Flash software available for download, so I'm trying to download it all before it goes away. My plan is to archive all old versions of Flash, and I don't want to miss any of them, just because the website won't let me download them from false positives on viruses.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I tried downloading Flash Player 6 and faced no issues while downloading the same. Which country/geo are you located in?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the USA. Still don't know why it happened, but I found how to fix it. The links provided on the download page are HTTP links. They all work except the one for Flash Player 6. I then found that when I manually typed in HTTPS into the browser's URL bar (to force it to use the HTTPS protocol instead of HTTP), I was then able to download this file. I just discovered this fix. Not sure why on this one file only, only the HTTPS protocol works, but it seems that for now that is the correct work-around for this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for the information and good to know you were able to download Flash Player. http link should not be the issue as Flash Player 2 to Flash Player 9 all download links are http links.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 05, 2018 Sep 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for letting us know.  I've opened a bug to our web team to get this working appropriately.

In terms of your virus scanner, many AV products will flag product versions with known vulnerabilities.  You always want to be running the latest version of Flash Player, as attackers can look at the differences between binaries and reverse-engineer changes.  When we make proactive security fixes, it's possible for a skilled adversary to reverse engineer them and target unpatched clients. 

The archives exist primarily to facilitate compatibility testing, and that concept in an of itself is a throwback to the days before Flash Player had an auto-updater mechanism.  In the early 2000s, it was pretty normal to see the user population take 6-12 months to achieve critical mass on a particular product version.  With the addition of automatic updates, we see the same penetration within 48 hours of a release.

It used to be pretty common for a client to specify "We want our game to work on Flash Player X and higher", but because the majority of users are on the current version, and there aren't really big deltas in terms of backward compatibility (3D graphics support and hardware acceleration are well-established and mature, etc.), there's not really a compelling reason to worry about that kind of backward compatibility at this point.  We mostly provide those downloads because there's a historical precedent.

Unless there's a spectacularly compelling reason (e.g. you're maintaining a kiosk in a museum that will never access the open web, and for some reason, your content won't play on a current versions of Flash Player), you shouldn't need to grab archived builds.  You definitely don't want to be browsing the open web with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines